Forum rules - please read before posting.

Minimap, Multiview, Alternate View, and Surveillance Camera Best Practice.

edited May 2014 in Technical Q&A
In my interaction, there are times when I need a topographical camera over a scene that acts as a minimap that is displayed in one corner of my scene. I would say this is similar to activating a surveillance camera view. Also, there might be scenes where the main camera is the main view and overlaid to the side of the screen, there would be alternate views, such as side and topographical, etc. I think you get the point. 

What would be the best practice to activate and deactivate these extra views in context of Adventure Creator? 

Comments

• You can use the Camera: Split screen Action to display two cameras side-by-side, but for a "corner overlay" you'll need to do some custom scripting.  Only thing I think to bear in mind that's AC-specific is that the MainCamera prefab is the only one that's ever active (unless you're using the Split screen action).  The GameCameras are merely there for position reference.
  • Thank you sir.
  • Can I just set up another camera that's a completely different game object that I can just toggle on/off as I need it? I've tried to do it with the Object: Visibility action to just turn it on/off, but haven't quite made it work yet.
  • I've also tried it with a custom camera rotator script that is on a game object that has another camera as a child. That doesn't seem to work either, but I'm sure there's a way somehow, just haven't figured it out yet.
  • If I understood what u mean I thin u need a render texture. U can activate another camera in ac but u have to write a custom script to attach as a component on the camera u want active besides the maincamera...as Chris suggested to me in C#:

void Start ()
    {
      this.camera.enabled = true;
    }
  • Well, what I was doing is just having a top level orthographic "minimap" camera set to a depth of 1 and I just made the Viewport Rect smaller so it would display in the corner. It shows up fine, I just can't seem to use the "Object: visibility" action to toggle it on and off. What exactly are the limitations on this action? It seems to only work for things like shapes and meshes. It would be nice to be able to toggle various game objects with scripts on them on/off.
  • Although, doing it this way does double my draw calls, maybe I need to rethink my approach.
  • Should I activate/deactivate the GUI Texture and the Texture Camera, just the GUI Texture, or just the Texture Camera? The Object:visibility does nothing at all for me, dag nab it.