Forum rules - please read before posting.

Limit Character movement in 2D-mode

edited May 2014 in Technical Q&A
I would like to let my character only move along the x-axis, left or right, in 2D-mode. I there any setting I have missed or is it a matter of setting up the navmesh correctly?

THX!

Comments

• edited May 2014
    Hi

So as with your other topic, im getting this "side scroller" kinda vibe from your game. Again, do include few more details so we can understand better to what you wantet to achieve and what stoped you from achieving it.

Warning: Always backup your project before making big changes like this. Zip them or rar them as a whole so you wont have to recreate it again.Back to subject,
    • First the obvious, include sorting layers but dont edit numbers that corrosponds to scaling (the ones with "%" are pretty much give away).

• Second, select your character prefeb, in the prefeb, there should be a player script with which has 2 options which are Multiple directions and Diagonal Sprites. No brainer, unthick the Diagonal Sprites. Im not sure of Multiple directions though, maybe give a try with unthicking it and making your character walk around. If it wont work, you can always comeback and thick it back.

Also, while your character is selected, go to animation window and which animations your character has. If you dont need (like diagonal animations) you may very well delete them . If AC wont find it, it will not show it.

• Third , (im shooting blind here so anyone has better idea, do let me know)  make a thin line of navmesh so your character will not move isometric ways (other wise this will cause kinda of a "moving on small hills" illusion which you will see your character levitating where else its only moving in the x and y axises.)
    These tips as a whole are not direct solution but rather suggestions to overcome problems. Maybe other members (or Chriss) might provide another type of aproach which you will benefit more.
  • Hey,

thanks for the tipps! Your quess with sidescroller is close - I am trying to build a game like "Tiny Thief" on iOS.

I also thought about the thin "one liner"navmesh - will check if it works.
  • Ok, so using a thin 2D-navmesh works but it has to be really thin and even which is quite complicated - or I haven't simply found the right shortcut yet ;-)
  • This seems like an old question, but it is still interesting to me. I got it working by using the real thin navmesh. In my case the navmesh itself is kinda off the screen (below it) and the user clicks above it (in the player height) so to walk a straight line in 2d. It gets the job done but is not an elegant solution, so I ask if you tested the other approaches or if there is some new feature in the last AC versions to do that.
    Thx!
  • I bump this threat. I need a 2d line navmesh too. It´s possible do that in latest versions?