Forum rules - please read before posting.

Best way to update Adventure Creator in existing project?

edited March 2014 in Technical Q&A
When I update Adventure Creator, should I delete the AdventureCreator folder from the project pane first? Or just import the new version, overriding the older version automatically? Are there any other files I should delete or steps I should take before updating?

Thanks for your help!
Ben

Comments

• I've found that updating AC will override the old version automatically, so there is no need to delete the folder. 

HOWEVER:

Make sure that if you have any custom managers (menu manager, inventory manager, variables manager, etc.) to save them in a folder separate from the Adventure Creator folder. Also you'd probably want to backup any custom scripts you've created or any other Adventure Creator assets you've modified yourself.

Everything else should be overwritten when you update.
  • Updating and overwriting has done the job for me but I've wondered about this too. Unity is quite badly designed when it comes to updating really, there are no notifications of new versions and they just bulk overwrite everything with the new versions of the files.
  • I'd actually go one step further to suggest making duplicates of the managers, rather than moving the modified originals to a different folder.  If you use the New Game Wizard to create your managers automatically, you'll be set.
  • is this still the recomended way of doing it ? backing up managers/custom-scripting and importing it over the old version
  • 1.6 of the Manual covers the recommended way of updating AC.