Forum rules - please read before posting.

Taking out the pause between dialogues

edited April 2015 in Technical Q&A
Basically, my dialogue appears on a black background texture that covers the whole screen. Now, I have activated both "display speech forever until user skips it" and "skipping speech first displays currently-scrolling text".

Unfortunately, between two dialogues (I mean two block of texts using two play speech actions), there is a quick "blink" where the texture disappears and reappears, even if I took out the fade transiction. Is there any way to make this better\have it stay? I have even tried to put -1 under "wait time offset but I couldn't notice any difference.

p.s. what is "treat carriage returns at separate speech lines?"

edit: just to be clear, the texture is very, very little, around 5 kb.

Comments

• I'm currently re-writing the speech system for 1.44.  I've recreated this error and will see what can be done about it.

Treat carriage returns at separate speech lines? simply means that entering:

This is line one
    This is line two

into a speech text box will cause the two lines to be treated as two separate speech Actions, and will be displayed one at a time.
  • Oh all right, I see. Thanks as usual for the great, rapid support :).

I guess the best would be a way to let the texture just stay there until the ActionList is over or something like that, not sure how. But I'm not the expert here :D
  • It's along those lines.  You have a couple of options:
    1. Move the black texture to a "background" menu that shows underneath the subtitles for the duration of the ActionList
    2. Lock off your regular Subtitles menu, and use one that has an Appear type of Manual.  Speech will still appear in the Label elements, but the menu won't disappear in between lines.
  • hm, smart workarounds indeed, hopefully I should be able to do it. Should I test them, or can I wait for your update? It's not urgent.
  • No, go with them - both of those options can be done with the current release.