Forum rules - please read before posting.

UFPS and cutscenes..

Hello!

It was all going great until I tried to make a cutscene with my UFPS character in it. His animation doesn't play when he moves.. is it supposed to, or is this something that I have to handle myself? If I do have to handle it myself, any pointers would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!
Jeff.

Comments

• Are you referring to a cutscene outside of the player's view?  Generally I'd advise having a separate character prefab to play cutscene animations, but without knowing more about your set-up I can't give more specific advice.
  • edited May 2015
    Thanks for the reply, Chris - btw, I love Adventure Creator. You've done an absolutely amazing job with it and I can't believe how much work you must have put in to get it to where it is. I am a fan! :)

Anyhoo.. yes. Sorry, I wasn't very clear on that! So, you recommend using a seperate character for 'outside' cutscenes and then hiding the original player? My worry with that would be the hidden player freaking out in some way, but I guess I could just hide the renderers rather than disabling it completely.

I was thinking about writing a custom action that would provide inputs to a UFPS player to make it walk to a point. Not sure how that would go yet (only bouncing around ideas before I tackle it head-on!) but it seems like it might work.
  • Another option would be to use multiple player prefabs, and then switch prefabs while you play a cutscene.  Player-switching can be set in the Settings Manager, and you'll then be able to use the Player: Switch Action to remove the current Player and replace with another.

Just bear in mind that you'll have to also change your game's Movement method to "None" for the duration of the Cutscenes before you switch to a non-UFPS Player - otherwise AC will get confused.  You can do this with the Engine: Manage systems Action beforehand.
  • Awesome! Thanks for the reply - I really like the idea of having a separate prefab just for cutscenes. Thinking about it some more, there's no need for me to preserve the player anyway as I'm only using UFPS for movement and the 3rd person camera, so it's not like I will have to do much to have AC recreate the UFPS prefab or anything.

Awesome sauce.