Forum rules - please read before posting.

[Fixed] multiple speech lines per action

Hey Chris,

Now that I'm building cutscenes in AC I was thinking about how it would be useful if I could cram multiple speech lines into one Dialogue: Play Speech instance. For instance if a character is holding a monologue it would be nice to be able to just type five lines in a row instead of adding the speech action five times. Makes the cutscene script look a little bit leaner. Maybe it shows a plus sign or an integer in the GUI if you wanted to add more than one line or something.

Thanks for the consideration.

Comments

• It's a nice suggestion, though there are several reasons for having one-action-per-line - the main ones being linking voice files and animation clips.  These assets are linked to the action, not the line, and if they were to be linked to individual lines within the same action, you'd end up with a very complicated GUI!

I may look into an option to make characters "say" lines that appear on new lines in the textarea one at a time (with a definable delay between them), but it'd really only be useful for non-talky games that don't rely on custom animations for each line.  Does your game fit that bill?
  • You make a good point, voice acting probably gets more complicated that way. See I thought of this suggestion because we had a similar thing set up in Playmaker for an old project - a single-line and a multi-line action that also played nice with the voice files. But I was not the programmer so unfortunately I could not tell you how that worked ;) it was even in the pre-2D days of Unity so the whole thing was quite the uphill battle!

But I have since discovered the Action Editor and that already makes the act of adding and rearranging actions easier, and probably even easier once you deploy that node-based update. Cheers!