Forum rules - please read before posting.

Hotspot interaction vicinity problem

edited June 2014 in Technical Q&A
Hi :(

I'm having problem with setting player vicinity hotspot detection even if I follow the tutorial step by step. My control method is point and click...I cheked all multiple times but still can't find the problem...where I have to look very well?

Plus I noticed from the demo the vicinity method is not what I want...In the demo even if u set hotspot detection on player vicinity u have to go with the mouse on the hotspot...I would like if I go near an hotspot with my player that the hotspot starts shine like when on mouse detection...is that achievable?

Comments

• Hi,

are you sure you checked the parameter "Hotspot detector child" in the player script (player prefab) ?
    If you are near the hotspot, interaction is possible, otherwise not.

I'm searching too if it is possible to show/hide hotspot icon depends of the position of the player (same thing as you except that you want highlight).
  • I missed exactly that.

Btw I'm interested too in that higlight or not...there is a function I tried in the demo...hotspot icon visible...but they are not based on vicinity...the icon just show in every hotspost...would be cool if it can be setted for player vicinity or something like that
  • I hope Chris will respond :)
  • He will, but not 62 minutes after posting!

I'll look into making an option to auto-highlight nearby hotspots when in P&C mode.  Showing Hotspot Icons by vicinity should also be looked into - missed that the first time around.
  • Thx Chris :) so we wait for the next update? :P

I'll post how I think the single hotspot should work :) let me know if is doable :)

So basically my idea is...autodetection method with player vicinity and get u closer just the HOTSPOT ICON will appear:

image[IMG]http://i59.tinypic.com/264td2d.jpg[/IMG]

when u click on the HOTSPOT icon u'll have access to the possible interaction (would be very nice if the transiction could be animated)

[IMG]http://i57.tinypic.com/2hnc002.jpg[/IMG]

I'm dreaming too much? :)

• I'll look into things for the next update, but there's a couple of these things you can do already:

1) You can limit hotspot icons to just those in the vicinity to setting "Display Hotspot icon" to Only When Highlighting (since only nearby Hotspots can be highlighted)

2) The kind of animated interaction interface is already possible by using multiple menus.  Every menu has a Transition type, which can be set to Pan and given direction / speed etc.  If you separate each use/look/talk interaction onto it's own Menu, then you can give each menu a different pan direction
  • I tried the ONLY WHEN HIGLIGTHING thingy and my fps decrease incredibly...is strange cause if I set that to ALWAYS I don't have fps drop...really strange...what can be the problem?
  • Will look into it.
  • Any news about this?
  • I haven't yet found the cause - by all accounts it shouldn't be giving much of a performance hit at all.

This is likely linked to your profiler woes.  How many Hotspots do you have in your scene?