Forum rules - please read before posting.

Can I author 100s of lines of dialog quickly?

I plan to write 100s of lines of short back-and-forth between characters. I want to edit these lines often.  I have only been through the 2D tutorial, so perhaps this is in there..but 

I wonder if AC already supports any existing bulk dialog import format or tool (e.g. XML from Chat Mapper, TWINE, or other similar dialog prototyping / authoring tool.

I need to specify NPC name, player choices, and consequences (mostly simple GOTO / GOSUB style linking and a few variable inc/dec).

I hope this isn't in the manual and I missed it.  Thanks!

Comments

• AC can export / import CSV files only.  Normally these are used to edit translations, but if you check Prevent original language from being used? within the Speech Manager, then you can create a Translation that acts as your game's "true" original language, and edit it in spreadsheets outside of AC.
  • Thanks for the reply!  CSV is fine. 

Does the Speech Manager route mean: we create each dialog line by hand in the visual node graph editor, and once that's done, we can update dialog lines via CSV?

I'm looking for a second route to authoring conversations and simple interactions, once my AC game is set up (has defined characters, variables, etc.)  I imagine a feature - that creates (or updates an existing) conversation in AC from a Google sheet, whose headings must match AC names exactly: "Character", "Line", "Spoken-To", etc.     For that, I suspect we'll need to create a script that generates custom interactions (like this tutorial) based on content in a spreadsheet. Does that sound right?