Forum rules - please read before posting.

Project Awesome - A 2D Game Experiment.

Hello everyone, I am a complete noob at unity and AC and games to be honest.  I decided to make a game and the end of my art degree because I am insane apparently.  So I just want to make a simple point and click mostly telling a story.  I have taken influences from Thomas was alone, Monument Valley and limbo. I am mostly focusing on the aesthetics though as I am an artist rather than a developer or game designer.  I want to be able to jump up onto shelf sprites so to speak to collect things.  What is the best way to do this? Move the movement method?  I don't wish to be a pain but time is limited so I just ask for a little advice and hopefully I am making sense.

Thanks in advance.  Kayla.

Comments

• It's possible, but if your time is limited and you're not a developer then you may have trouble.  AC "vanilla" doesn't cater for platformers, since it's intended for traditional adventure games.  You could either link your AC Player to a custom motion controller, or remove your AC player and use a separate one that's intended for 2D platforming.

I'd advise the latter, if you don't need the player to do much during Cutscenes (since it's easier to integrate, but won't allow you to move the Player using Actions).  But this topic in general is really only suited to developers, I'm afraid.
  • @LadyAwesome : Sounds like it could be fun! :-)

I think I have the coding skills plus experience working with game art assets you would need for this, so feel free to PM me if you need some outside help for the project.
  • Idiot ville 3.8473298742

So after I accently deleted my whole project, I dont even know how I had to start again.
    Question about 2D sprites, what files do they have to be uploaded as, I am trying to get them into the animator, I only have a left and right, but I cant seem to drop them in.  Thanks.
  • Their folder placement doesn't matter.  But you need to use the Animation window to create animations before they can be placed in the Animator.

• Okay I think I fixed that but I play tested and the character is not nagivating.  Would there be something that prevents it if you have more then one navigation mesh?  I have 5 for each scene and they are all in the same workspace because that's how I lost everything last time was trying to make a new scene. 

This is happening image
  • Ps sorry for being a pain again :D
    Also the message at the botton says Animator.GotoState: State could not be found.  This is in play test mode
  • That message means that it can't find the name of the animation you've written in your Player inspector.  In v1.49, this will be more specific, but for now you'll just have to check that your animation names match up manually.

You can have as many NavMeshes in a scene as you like, but only one can be active at a time - the first will be the "Default NavMesh" you set in your Scene Manager.

Check that you don't have "Root motion?" checked in your Animator - that's a common cause for 2D characters freezing.
  • I have that nav mesh saved as the default so ..... no idea what I did.  Might have to start from scratch again.  Well I only want two flip sides to animate, and I couldn't drag and drop the main character over to add animations to maybe that is my issue. 

But when you drag over the character into the animator that is used as the base, it should move into there right and then it gives you an option to save?  It wouldn't do that for me.I shall test some more tomorrow when I am more calm haha.  Thanks Chris, i appreciate you answering my mundane questions.
  • Better to use the Animation window to create a new clip first, and then add the sprite.  Look up Unity's official tutorials on creating animations, if you're just getting started with Unity they're a good primer.
  • That is what I was using, sorry I didn't clarify myself properly.  Thanks again - just to figure out the navigation mesh.

I am also getting an error that my character has no sorting map to follow?  Is that possibly my issue?
  • Sorting Maps are necessary if you want your character to be placed behind objects correctly according to where they are, and also scale correctly with perspective.  They are generally the "next step" once the NavMesh is built, since the character can still move around without this.

So where are we now on the NavMesh issue?  Did you uncheck the "Root motion" box?
  • I have just been playing around debugging and reinstalling and patching and realise my fines are at stupid resolutions so just going back fixing up things and reading a bunch of tutorials, so haven't gone back to try animate things.   Think I just forgot to put my playing into some default space but can put it back in.  Will let you know how I go, I am still trying to decide if it is easier to have everything in one scene, especially since the player changes or if I should just have them all in one scene.
  • Phew everything is fixed, just wanted to know peoples preferences to level making though, would you put them in different scenes or the same one?  Each level has different objects and characters ect yet need to keep the inventory ect.
  • edited October 2015
    ignore this message
  • I would recommend breaking the game down into as many scenes as you can, to keep each as simple to edit as possible.  AC ensures variables, inventory etc are retained between scenes.
  • Done and done, is there any options for replay?
  • As in restarting the game?  Use the Engine: End game Action - it'll give you an option to.  If you restart the game, variables will be reset.

• Ah thank you, also do you know what I should look up to fix this problem, the dialouge is taking way to long to play through is there a way you can click to make it onto the next step?  or shorten the time? or both?

Also I am having another problem with the width cutting out is it because the aspect ratio is at 16:9 and when I run the game in stand alone mode it cuts some of the sides off.  

Any advice would be lovely!
  • I fixed the camera issue, just need some help with dialogue settings.
  • All the settings related to the timing and click-handling of dialogue can be found at the top of the Speech Manager.