Forum rules - please read before posting.

Hotspot - Inventory interaction with ANY item

I was wandering if there's a method to have the same response when using any of the object of the inventory on the same hotspot.
I know there already are the unhandled events with the action list, but they are referencing to the inventory items... but when I try to use one of my inventory item on, for ex., a mailbox, I would like to say "I can't send that" for all the object I try to use on the mailbox hotspot.
So when configuring the hotspot, if I wanna obtain this, I have to add all the items under the "Inventory interactions" window.
Or there's another trick I'm missing?
Thanks

Comments

• No, there isn't.

I suspect it might get very confusing if there were to be such a feature.  For example, if you had unhandled interactions for the Hotspot, the Inventory item, and a "global" one for all Inventory items, which one should get run?
  • Yes, that's right, but you can give a priority that you already done for the unhandled things in the inventory manager.
    Now, if under an item I create a specific unhandled interaction, the unhandled event isn't considered. So can be also done for hotspot, if an hotspot have an unhandled interaction, run this.

So it could be: Priority 1 - Unhandled hotspot; Priority 2 (if there isn't an unhandled hotspot) - Unhandled interactions; Priority 3 (if there aren't the first 2) - generic unhandled events.

Btw, it's just an idea, if you think it's getting confused there's no problem. 
    ;)

Pratical example:

Inventory item: 
    - T-shirt (with unhandled interaction "Can't wear it") 
    - Ball (with generic unhandled event "Can't use on it")

Hotspot: 
    - Mailbox (with Unhandled hotspot "Can't send it") 
    - Street lamp (a normal hotspot)

Actions:
    Use t-shirt on street lamp -> "Can't wear it"
    Use ball on street lamp -> "Can't use on it"
    Use t-shirt on mailbox -> "Can't send it"
    Use ball on mailbox -> "Can't send it"
  • This is a good suggestion.  Expect this in v1.49.
  • :D
    Yeah! 
    Great Chris!

:-bd
  • Good suggestion, I can see this put to use. Since "wrong" interactions happen so often in adventure games, a more varied approach to handling these would be great.
  • Yeh thanks, my second name is Suggestion Man... LOL!

Btw, @ChrisIceBox, since you have to modify the hotspot script (or whatever is needed) what do you think to add another little checkmark (like the actual "single use interaction" checkmark)? 
    I was thinking you can call it "on mouse over" and when checked, it run an actionlist when the mouse is over it without click on it.
    And when you wanna disable it, there's no need to add anything else, just disable the hotspot with this option and enable a identical hotspot with this option unchecked, so it can be looked or used normally.

Ok, it's time to turn SuggestionMode Off now... but I like to expand the funcionality of AC! ^_^
  • Perhaps.  The issue there is that it would very easily lead to broken games, since the Interaction you assign would be set to Pause Gameplay by default - and I think most people would overlook that.

This behaviour could already be implemented simply by running a custom script that checks for the active Hotspot - recorded in AC.KickStarter.playerInteraction.GetActiveHotspot ();
  • edited October 2015
    Mmmh, I hadn't considered that Pause gameplay... I'll try with the custom script, thanks!