Forum rules - please read before posting.

Variable and mouse cursor groups

edited November 2015 in Extending the editor
Hi folks,

Just wanted to share a quick tip, something that I stumbled upon entirely by accident. I've started to get worried about dealing with large numbers of variables, as scanning through a long pull-down list can be quite a hassle (I have 50+ variables already). And then I discovered that you can group your variables by naming them in the following format: "group/variable". The forward-slash is what separates them into groups.

Here's what my variables look like now:

And here's a side-by-side comparison of the drop-down lists when selecting them in the ActionList editor (apologies for the long image; it's more to prove a point than anything):
image image

I'm not sure if this is a widely-known feature of Unity and/or AC, but it's not documented in the AC manual. And since I accidentally discovered it, I can imagine that other AC users - who very often have the same low level of technical experience than I have - will find this useful.

I tested it on my project and it's safe to go through your variables list now and update them all to be more organised. This also works on mouse cursor names (if you have a lot - I do in my project), and I'm sure it'll work elsewhere as well.

PS: Chris, if we could have a way to manually/automatically alphabetise variable names, I'd be in OCD heaven :P

Comments

• F awesome! :)
  • Well you can always re-arrange their order in the Variables Manager - that'll affect their display order in Actions.

But I actually didn't know about this feature - well done for finding it!
  • Thanks for the share! :)) =D> at the comment