Forum rules - please read before posting.

bug in verb prefix on hotspots after using inventory

Hey

The verb prefix (use/ give to) disappears from NPCs hotspots after using an item on them.
I believe i'm on 1.49a (or a hybrid of from patches over 1.49 you've given me directly)

it doesn't happen every time, specifically i managed to reproduce this after i give Thelma the yearbook.

imageimage

Maybe it's related to having removed the item i've giving from the inventory while its action is being ran? i'm not sure if it happens in all instances of giving.

Comments

• There's an easy way to test that: don't remove the Yearbook from the Inventory.  Does the issue then persist?
  • Open up your Cursor Manager, and find "Prefix cursor labels?" underneath "Hotspot settings".  Uncheck it, run the game, then check it again.  Does the issue resolve itself?
  • Unchecking it did the opposite of the desired functionality.
    i DO want it to be prefixed when i uncheked it nothing was prefixed.

I found a much shorter way to reproduce it.
    use the rope on the hook in OMX and the hook loses prefixes.

this happens even before you change scene and also happens when you get the rope using use debug funcion in the lower left corner of the screen.

imageimage

imageimage
  • i'll also add the the Use in the inventory item function is empty so it will get selected. i assume that's ok?

as it is in all the inventory items, but this werid behaviour only happens on a few of the hotsopst and not on everyone you use an item on.

• my last comment dissapeared. retrying to post
  • I figured out EXCATLY when it happens. it happens when the cursor is at the last verb in the verb loop. 
    the hook only had one, Look at so it would always happen.
    Thelma had two, Look at and Talk To. when it was on Talk to , it happened.
    there must be an index pointer to the array that you increment when you use an item and then it goes beyond the index...
  • I was asking you to uncheck it and then re-check it, not disable the option permanently.

Regardless, thank you for the digging.  Expect it fixed in v1.50.
  • Oops. Misread that- I blame dislexia.
  • In Hotspot.cs, find line 695.

Change:
    else if (i == useButtons.Count - 1 + numInvInteractions)

to:
    else if (i >= useButtons.Count - 1 + numInvInteractions)
  • Sorry to interject, but what's that chat mapper I see in screenshot, and what does it do ?  :O 
  • @klarax ;
    an excellent dialog editing tool

used by the excellent Dialog System

in tandem with the amazing Adventure Creator.

• Working. Was line 680 in my file thogh
  • So its more of a reference thing? rather than being able to integrate it so AC can use the dialogues directly from that software?
  • Indeed. I create dialogs way more efficiently there in CM and import / convert them to DS and then use them in AC
  • OK. I've figured out when EXCATLY it happens.
    it only happens when the curser is on the LAST verb in the loop.

in the hook there is only ONE verb - look at.
    in Themla, it only happened after talking to her (because that's the last very in the loop of Look at, Talk to).

i guess there's some index++ reference that goes beyond the number of elemtns in the array when you apply an item./

• OK. I've figured out when EXCATLY it happens.
    it only happens when the curser is on the LAST verb in the loop.

in the hook there is only ONE verb - look at.
    in Themla, it only happened after talking to her (because that's the last very in the loop of Look at, Talk to).

i guess there's some index++ reference that goes beyond the number of elemtns in the array when you apply an item./