Forum rules - please read before posting.

Videos and StreamingAssets

Hey

I'm trying to wrap my head around Streaming Assets and playing videos in AC.
I've learned that when videos are placed in StreamindAssets - they are NOT being imported by Unity. I had to overcome this by placing them into another folder and then dragging them into StreaminAssets - but then, if i open the project on another PC OR use Clound build the videos don't get imported as a movie texture and then their reference gets lost.
I have not tried to see a video using a video texture on a mobile platforms like IOS and Android, only PC. 

can you confirm how this works? where should files be? how do they get imported? 
One thoughts is - should there maybe, be a seperate solution for mobile/non mobile - i.e. reference two files in the play movie Action ?

Oded

Comments

• The Engine: Check platform Action can be used to make gameplay changes based on platform.  But on desktop platforms, you have the added option of playing the movie as a texture on a Material - you can then just point the camera at a quad that has this material.
  • I am not sure i follow. 
    The Engine: Play movie clip  action requires a movie clip. 
    I want the same movie clip to be played on Desktop and on Mobile.

In desktop - If i place the movie clip file in StreamingAssets folder - it doesn't get imported as a movie texture and thus i cannot drag it onto the movie clip field in the action list editor.

In mobile - i have not checked it yet, so i cannot comment right now, but I will get to it soon.

how would the Check Plafrorm change this behaviour, shouldn't that be something that's checked behind the scenes, or should there be another action for playing videos on mobile devices?
  • It's likely that the StreamingAssets folder requirement is for mobiles only.  Can you confirm that placing this in another folder allows this to play normally on Desktop?
  • Yes. I put three videos in a "videos"' folder and they play in desktop.
    I believe it's only required in mobile because unity didn't supoort movie texture in mobile (maybe it does in 5?) and then require StreamingAsset
  • OK - I'll remove the warning message in v1.50.

As for the check platform issue, the movie clip Action UI changes with your platform - so two side-by-side will always look the same at any one time, but only one will be run if your connect them both up to a check platform Action.
  • I see.
    maybe you should keep the message in movile and just remove it in desktop.
    also why not just have two fields in the Action UI so that the same action can be used for multi platform? instead of having us create two play moive actions with a platform check, do it in the behind the scenes code?