Forum rules - please read before posting.

Menus

edited July 2014 in Technical Q&A
Hey everyone,

Just hit a major milestone - so I'm going over a bunch of features I would like to fix/enhance over the next week.

1. The menu setup remains to be a bit confusing to me. I've been able to get certain things to look the way I want due to trial and error, but I would love to have a true comprehensible knowledge of its functionality. I would love to see a break down of what the Menu properties control vs the Element Type properties AND their sub properties. (Button, crafting, cycle, dialog list, drag, input, interaction... etc etc.)

2. Same thing with the settings manager. Great deal of options are added with each update. Another breakdown of this menu would be great.

3. This sort of builds off of #1 - Subtitles and menus behave properly regardless of resolution and aspect ratios. 

4. I know I've asked you many times about footstep SFX, and I understand how to set it up and change by material. But there's only 1 slot per footstep. Is it possible to setup a list of footstep sfx per material that randomly plays?

5. You've talked about a tutorial on creating a start menu - any progress on this? Or did I miss it?

6. I see we can use animated portraits now. How do we set this up?

7. I have an icon that pops up when the player is near a hotspot - sort of like final fantasy 9. I would like it to show up above the player no matter the camera position. Have not been able to create that consistency. 

8. One playtester was trying to examine an item while it was equipped outside of the inventory using interactionB. Normally you can only examine an item within the inventory. If a player presses interactionB, the item is then unequipped from their hand. I would love to be able to examine the item while its equipped using interactionB, and have the item remain in their hands. 

9. The camera is still snapping from an incorrect to the correct position at the beginning of a scene change - I will create a gif demonstrating this.

Thank you as always!

Eric

Comments

• You're asking some very broad questions.  Things like the job of each menu element, for example, are listed in the manual.  Can you be more specific about what you'd like to know more about?

Many tutorial on the menu system, including how to create a title menu, are available here

It's not possible to assign random footstep sounds, but have you tried creating a longer audio with many tied together?

Animated portraits can be made by supplying a horizontal texture that displays each animation frame side-by-side.  Check the "Animate?" box when assigning the portrait graphic, and enter the number of frames it involves.

I will add a new menu Position type called "Above player" for you, and I'll squeeze in an option for right-clicks to examine the item rather than de-select it, in the next update.
  • Thank you Chris! Helpful as always. 

I have thought about the strung together footstep sounds - but what if the player walk speed changes? 
  • edited July 2014
    Are you using Mecanim?  You could try tying the sound to an animation event.
  • Yeah I've thought about it, I just never found a really good tutorial. Any suggestions?