Forum rules - please read before posting.

Mixamo fuse character animation

edited March 2016 in Technical Q&A
I decided to skip UFPS and go for 3rd person in my game. I made a character with mixamo fuse which I imported as a humanoid character, assigned player script, tagged as player and added a rigidbody and capsule collider to it. The player is selected as player in the AC settings.

I can get an idle-animation to play when my character stands still (and moves around) but I want more animations like walking etc. I watched the 3D tutorial but didn´t really get much out of it (the NPC/Mecanim part, the rest of it is great!) 

Maybe this has nothing to do with AC though? Might be better to study more about Unity mecanim animations?

Comments

• Omg I forgot that there are written tutorials as well :D Will check it out and report back if i still need help.
  • Ok so I followed the tutorial and the problem remains. The charater starts in idle, floats slowly up in the sky and moving is really weird. While moving the character is still in idle and moves with a latency, sometimes it changes to the walking animation but mostly not. After a while the character moves like its on ice (while up in the air) almost like the character is gliding.

• Are you using root motion?  The float away behaviour sounds common to root motion characters, where you have to bake the Y position into the animation itself.  If this is the case, this'll be a Unity issue and not AC, so you should refer to the Unity forum for help with it.
  • Yes I´m using root motion, baking the Y position helped with the floating issue but controlling the character still doesn´t really work. Pressing the directional buttons a couple of time or hold one can get the character to move and even trigger the walking animation but when I release the button the character just keep walking for like half a second and then starts gliding on the floor haha.

I have the opsive third person controller which I used in a earlier project, what advantages and disadvantages would it make to use that instead? I´m planning on making my game with the same style as your evil lair demo and using quite a lot of cutscenes to when the character interacts with stuff. If i use the third person controller I can still turn it off during cutscenes right? 

I do feel however that using the built in controller would be best so it would be great to get it running.
  • I'm not in a position to recommend which 3rd-party asset to use over another, but AC's designed to give you as much flexibility as possible - including the ability to turn it off during cutscenes.  Be sure to read over the updated Motion Controller tutorial if you haven't already.
  • But I would rather just use the simple controller built in with AC if possible, I´m not planning on having advanced control or anything, just the direct control like you have in the Evil lair scene. 

I mean it "kind of" works now, but there is latency when pressing the buttons, and have to tap the buttons to get the character to move, holding it down does nothing. I have checked and unchecked like every button in the animations to see what´s happening but I really don´t know what I´m doing here :/

My guess is that there is some problem with the transitions, but on the other hand after a while the character "walks on ice" as it glides over the floor so maybe there are other problems.

How do other people get this to work i wonder?
  • Have you unchecked "Has exit time?" on the animator transitions?
  • @Snebjorn

No that was probably the only thing I didn´t uncheck, it works now!

You are now one of my favourite persons my good sir! Thank you!
  • You're more than welcome - I had that issue about 500 times myself when I was just starting out with Mecanim.  X(
  • Yes animations is probably the thing I know least about in unity, you don´t happen to know how to get the character to stop right away when you stop pressing the button? She walks a few steps after i let go now. 

I had plans for more complex animations but I will do all that with cutscenes instead 
    :D Idle, walking, running and talking is enough haha.

I sent you a pm a while ago about salsa and facial animations, maybe you didn´t get that? Is that the way to go when you want lipsyncing with mixamo characters? I remember you wrote something about that in a post somewhere on the forums.
  • Ah - you didn't actually pm me, you wrote on my profile page here - I'll just quote my reply here to keep the level of confusion to a manageable level:

Definitely still recommend it - it saves an absurd amount of time. Using it with fuse characters introduces some performance overhead because of the extra script (available as a free add-on), but I'm using it now with custom character models built from scratch.

I warmly recommend it for any project that includes voice acting with more than a trivial amount of dialogue - hope to have a demo video up by mid March.

• In the meantime I've been working on integrating it with custom modeled characters - will post a video very soon with some of that stuff.
  • Sounds awesome! If I need some help with my fuse-characters when I get to that point would you be willing to help me with some of that stuff? And if so, do you have skype?
  • If you need help, I'll see what I can do to answer things here - but I really don't have much time available what with putting in 40 hours of game development per week on top a full-time day job - but I really don't think you're going to have any problems. It's all explained very well in the tutorials from SALSA.

Regarding the problem with getting your character to stop instantly, I think you need to play around with the Deceleration value on your character.
  • Sounds Great! Thanks again man :)>-