Forum rules - please read before posting.

Unity UI Menu appear above player in screen space?

Is it possible to have Unity UI menus appear above the speaking character when using Screen Space canvases?

If not - is there a trick to using World Space that prevents text from being blocked by other geometry or image effects?

Or maybe we're better off using AC's menu system for subtitles?

Comments

• There is an "Above speaking character" position type option for subtitles. It should do the trick.
  • Yes, that's the feature I'm refering to. Does it work for you with Unity UI in screen space?
  • It should do - is your UI a prefab or local to the scene?
  • Yes it does work for me using Screen Space - Overlay and Unity Ui prefab. I had some issues with this some time ago, but it was simply the fact that I linked the subtitles text field and forgot to link the canvas to the menu system. Maybe its the same for you?
  • Be sure to link both the Canvas and the RectTransform boundary - that's what AC controls to reposition the UI.
  • Ok, thanks guys... if it is supposed to work I must have something set incorrectly... again. I was trying to use a Ui prefab (including just the included subtitles prefab).

Can any of the anchoring cause issues with this functionality?

And should the RectTransform be coming also from the canvas, or should I link the panel (or something else)?
  • The RectTransform should be a child of the Canvas, but one that is a parent of the Label (or the Label itself).  The Canvas's RectTransform cannot be positioned - AC needs one that can be.
  • I think that was my mistake.

Killer... thanks, Chris. 
  • Follow up question, am i still be able to adjust how much afar the panel(the child of canvas) to the speaking character.

it seems like the distance is fixed no matter how i change the rectrans of the panel

may be a offset can be exposed?

• In which direction? And is this a prefab or in-scene UI? Let's see some screenshots.

You can define a "Speech menu placement child" in the character's Inspector to control where the RectTransform is positioned to. If your Canvas is set to render in "Screen Space - Camera", you can also control the Plane Distance.

• i guess i will set a child object for my npcs then(to set how above the ui apear the char), since my game is on 2d so cant use plane distance.

Thx Chris