Forum rules - please read before posting.

Downloadable Content

Hi there,
I will start using your plugin in April, when I start my master thesis at Cologne Game Lab :-)
After doing a quick search in the forum, I still have one question:

Is it possible to download, and use Unity packages with Adventure Creator? For instance, you provide three different images with animations for background. To keep down the size of first download, you would make two of them as optional downloadable packages. Is this restricted to static assets, or may I download new NPCs with dynamic new conversations?

Hope, you get the question :-)

Best
Jörg

Comments

• It sounds like you'd be wanting to use Unity's Asset Bundles feature.  Conversations and other AC prefabs will be negligible in file-size, so you're best off limiting DLC to just graphics.  This'll also make it easier to deal with e.g. translations / speech IDs as your game isn't adding extra dialogue.

All dealings with asset bundles, however, would have to be done through custom scripting.  AC doesn't have any built-in support for this feature (so far as automation / UI controls goes), but I shouldn't think there'd be a problem if you can handle the code portion.
  • Hey ChrisIceBox,
    thanks for the answer. I expected that, but that's not a problem.
    I will to investigate, if a scripting system would give me the freedom of dynamic content, as I imagine. I will post, when I found out, how to do it :-)

Thanks again!
    Best
    Jörg