Forum rules - please read before posting.

First Person Mouse Optimization?

The first person mouse controls in AC have been really awkward to work with, especially when compared that of the standard assets first person controller. Mouse control in the input manager is pretty much straightforward and is in fact the same between these two controllers. However in AC, I'm not exactly sure what the "freelook sensitivity" does different than the sensitivity fields in the input manager.

Furthermore, I have found no method for controlling max mouse speed or mouse smoothing. So even with a low unit/sec to give more precise pointing, there is a bit of fidgeting/jittering when turning (mostly noticeable on the vertical axis). It's almost as if the mouse is on a flimsy ratchet joint. Plus when I attempt to move the mouse around really fast, I'm actually constrained to a maximum turning speed as if the camera has to catch up with my mouse, despite there actually being no latency.

I have had none of these problems with the standard assets controller and it appears that some of these settings, such as mouse smoothing, are even available for it. Are there ways to properly optimize AC's first person mouse control that I'm not aware of?

Comments

• Other than amending AC's FirstPersonCamera script?  It's possible to rely on your own asset to you control your player if you'd rather use it in place of AC's own options.  See the included UFPSIntegration.cs script to see how a script, when added onto an AC Player prefab, can take over control.
  • edited April 2016
    I don't have UFPS, but I can see how that would be useful. What I did find however, is that I can lower the input axes sensitivity for more accuracy and raise the freelook sensitivity for wider turning control. Still don't know what causes the little camera fidgeting (might have to do with test mode) but this definitely solves the max speed issue.

EDIT: Just discovered that applying the Standard Assets camera motion blur script to the main camera fixes the fidgeting... somehow.
  • I've noticed the same sort of jitter when turning in first-person - though not in an AC project. It feels like input lag or frame drops while there are none, it's quite strange. What's even stranger is that motion blur does seem to fix it yeah. I used a different motion blur asset but I had the same result.

If you want to use a different first-person controller, I would highly recommend Torahhorse's FPS Drifter. It's free and easy to setup, with nice smoothing and zoom functions, crouch and run.