Forum rules - please read before posting.

[Feature request] Text animation tags

I see this is many different games utilizing text either as subtitles or for narration entirely. I think it would be great to have different kinds of animations that could be applied to text similar to how you apply rich text tags or pause/expression tags.

For example, see the waving "WOOOAH!" in this clip from Shovel Knight:
Also see the shaking text in this clip from Undertale:

Both effects are used in both games as well as many others. I think this kind of thing really helps add emphasis and character to a game's presentation. You could write a tag like;
[effect:wave]Your wavy text here.[/effect]
[effect:shake]Your shaky text here.[/effect]

I don't know how this works in Unity, but I've also seen a similar tag system in RuneScape's chat where animation tags like shake, wave, and scroll can be applied to your messages.

It's a little thing, but I believe that it can add just a bit more flavor to a game project.

Comments

• This kind of effect is too complex for AC's own Menu system (and covers too broad a topic for a one-size-fits-all script), but perfectly suited to Unity's UI one.  The design choice to AC's Unity UI integration is to take less control away from the user, allowing them to customise it in ways like this.

A custom script could read the contents of an AC-driven UI Text box and manipulate it accordingly.