Forum rules - please read before posting.

How to make "Direct Movement" happen with mouse input ONLY?

So, I during researching the old TTG titles (namely Tales of Monkey Island and Sam and Max Season 3) I noticed that they put in an alternate control scheme to WASD.
If you press and hold the left mouse button, it is possible to direct-control the character via an on-screen analog stick.

I assume (and I'm pretty sure) that this was done to prepare for an iPad or iPhone release, where you would touch and drag to simulate the same analog stick.
I have no idea how to do something like that in AC, since coding is not something I can do.

Did you guys try something like that?
Do you care to share your findings?

Cheers and thanks!

Comments

• Change your Movement method to Drag.
  • Heya and thanks for the quick reply!

I tried "Drag" once, but it didn't seem like I can control it to my liking.
    For example, seemingly no matter what I do with the movement settings, the character will always speed up (and slide across the floor because of that).
    Because of that I never really looked back, since I thought it is literally meant for physically dragging characters across a scene (and not to simulate an analog stick).

If that, however is indeed the solution, I might have to put in more time to figure out how to control it properly.
    I already fround the possibility to change the movement method, so I assume changing it back to keyboard, as soon as I press a button would be rather easy.
  • Changing the input method would require a custom Action, but it's quite simple - you just need to manipulate this variable:

AC.KickStarter.settingsManager.inputMethod

If you want to map it to an Options setting, see this tutorial.