Forum rules - please read before posting.

Are hotspots really this "expensive"?

edited April 2016 in Technical Q&A
When I started adding hotspots to my scene I discovered that the FPS-counter in the Unity-editor dropped drastically. Before I had 70+fps (14milliseconds) and when I added 7 hotspots it dropped to around 35fps (27milliseconds). Then I tried adding 7 more hotspots and it dropped down to around 20fps (45milliseconds). The scene is pretty much empty with just a couple of doors, a floor, roof and walls.

This doesn´t feel very good, there must be something wrong or maybe it´s just when in editor that this happens? Because when I build I have constant 60fps which is maximum on my monitor so it´sprobably more.

I have a 4790k, 16gb Ram and a 970GTX so there is nothing wrong with my computer.

Comments

• Are you editing any of these Hotspots, or is performance dropping due to purely un-edited Hotspots?  They shouldn't have any noticeable impact - what are your Hotspot settings in the Settings Manager?

There are a few things going on in the Editor that might give a lower performance than builds, however.  Try writing a simple script that outputs FPS to the screen and test in a build.
  • I´m not sure what you mean by un-edited Hotspots? The only thing they have on them is a Use interaction.

Using fraps on my build shows stable 60fps which is maxfor my screen so the build seems to be working fine but there must be something else going on with the editor with the massive drops due to hotspots.

• By un-edited, I meant were you doing anything to them beside simply placing them in the scene - assigning their Highlight fields, for example.

If you open up the Profiler when running, see if you can find spikes that might indicate what's causing the slowdown.  At least this seems to be an editor-only issue.