Forum rules - please read before posting.

[Feature Request] Smarter 3D camera.

This is more of a suggestion than a request.

I think it would be cool if the 3D camera could be worked a bit more, little by little, to be smarter. I mean things like collision detection, to allow to make obstacles transparent when they block the character, or to allow more points of view natively (like top-down) without having to do a lot of tweaking. The current camera system is plenty of times rather quirky, e.g.: when running and following roads/streets with sharp bends and switching cameras in the corners (which are meant to rotate to a new point of view), sometimes the camera can't follow on time, leaving the rotation untouched and the view impossible to play. Or it'll easily clip through objects or walls, and constraints aren't always a good solution. Also setting the camera always by trial and error can be a bit exhausting (and I mean constraints more than anything else)... 

I know I could just change to another camera solution, but seeing how the AC camera is already setup to interact with AC properly, and it already does many things I like, it makes me uneasy to just change it. I would highly prefer if AC had some of these features, even if a bit simplified... Just from the little bit I've tinkered with it, I can already see AC can be used for lots of types of games. Just the hotspot system alone is immensely useful for practically all game genres.

PS: Before, I mistakenly put this on extending the editor, would it be possible to delete the other thread I created?

Comments

• All good points.  The Third-person GameCamera is designed to be a bit more of a "traditional" camera type, with collision detection built-in.  You can then either control the rotation directly with inputs, or with the Camera: Rotate third-person Action.  I would certainly recommend investigating that type if you haven't already.

However, it's also actually very easy to integrate another camera solution with AC.  So long as a Unity Camera has the "_Camera" component on it, it will be visible to AC's Actions and Managers.  You can add this by choosing Adventure Creator -> Camera -> Basic camera from the Inspector's Add Component menu.  Then just make sure the GameObject is not tagged as "MainCamera", and you can control it with whatever camera script you like, and switch to it as you would any other AC camera.
  • edited June 2016
    Cool, thanks, I'll give it a try. By the way, you think I can tweak the 3rd person camera to work as a top down camera? I want to use it for a pets game I'm designing for android, and there'll be some puzzles and minigames which will need top-down view.
  • Use it however you like - if you copy the file (and it's associated Editor script) and rename the class then you can use it without it being overwritten with AC updates.