Forum rules - please read before posting.

How to properly re-import GameEngine?

Hey Chris! :)

What's the right way to re-import the GameEngine, as suggested by 1.51's release notes?

Hoping to fix the issue with "Gather text" resetting all audio, I'm upgrading from 1.50i to the current 1.52 (and I did upgrade to Unity 5.3.5f1 before doing so, per the release notes).

Now that I'm there, I have various weirdness (loading puts me in a different camera than I saved in with the lighting broken, alignment in menus is off, timestamps in saves have disappeared), and I'm guessing this may be because I haven't yet re-imported the GameEngine, per the release notes.

My best guess at how to re-import is to delete the GameEngine object in the scene, then click "With folders" under the scene manager (http://www.adventurecreator.org/tutorials/setting-bare-bones-scene seems to suggest this). However, when I do so, the UnityVersionHandler chokes. Looking at the stacktrace, it appears to choke, because it's trying to add the BackgroundCamera to a folder, but the BackgroundCamera already exists:
NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
AC.UnityVersionHandler.PutInFolder (UnityEngine.GameObject ob, System.String folderName) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Static/UnityVersionHandler.cs:321)
AC.SceneManager.PutInFolder (UnityEngine.GameObject ob, System.String folderName) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Managers/SceneManager.cs:676)
AC.SceneManager.InitialiseObjects (Boolean createFolders) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Managers/SceneManager.cs:485)
AC.SceneManager.ShowGUI () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Managers/SceneManager.cs:70)

This makes me think I'm re-importing wrong. Is there a way to do it that doesn't make AC try to reorganize my scene? How should I be re-importing?

Thanks so much!! :)

Comments

• First you should go over Section 1.6 of the Manual, if you haven't already.

Second: know that the GameEngine in your scene should already be linked to the prefab located in Assets/AdventureCreator/Prefabs/Automatic.  You can tell if the GameEngine is listed blue in the scene's Hierarchy window.  So importing the new GameEngine prefab should also update any necessary changes to the one in your scene.

Don't remove the GameEngine in your scene - that contains things like your scene settings, local variables etc, that are necessary for your scene to work properly.

Also know that a full import of AC will change your loaded Managers - the Demo game's Managers will become loaded into your AC Game Editor window, which means you'll have to re-assign your own Managers back in.  You can do this in one go by double-clicking the ManagerPackage asset file that is in your game's subfolder, created when you used the New Game Wizard to create your Managers in the first place.  This is covered in more detail in Section 1.6 of the Manual.
  • I did make sure to retain and restore all managers, and the GameEngine is still blue. So, it sounds like there's actually no action needed for re-importing the GameEngine?
  • I just reran through all the steps trying to figure out exactly what broke things, and it seems like it's more the Unity update than the Adventure Creator update. I went from Unity 5.3.1f1 to 5.3.5f1, and that caused these issues:
    - alignment of components in menus went weird (able to fix that)
    - no more timestamps on save names (prefer the old, but no crisis)
    - loading saved games often goes back to the wrong camera (2.5D game). That is, the player character is clearly walking around one scene and you can hover over the hotspots for that scene, but the camera background is another scene. (the scene sprites from neither scene appear)
    - after any scene change or game load, all characters are totally black as if there's no shading/lighting going on

I then upgraded AC from 1.50i to 1.52, and that just changed my font weights, but I can easily fix that.

Are these expected issues? I particularly want to fix the loading and lighting issues. Not sure if there's some upgrade step I'm missing.

Thank you for any advice!
  • Please post these issues as separate threads, giving as much detail as possible.  Upgrade to v1.52a first, and after re-testing please show screenshots to help us understand the issues as best we can.
  • Will do, thanks so much!