Forum rules - please read before posting.

Check if string contains a specific word

Hi there,

Is it possible to check if a player's Entered Value includes, but not necessarily Equal To, a String?

For example, let's say I have an NPC that asks the player what their favourite colour is, and the player is able to give an input. Something ideal would be something like:

Variable:Check > Compare With: Entered Value > Includes (instead of Equal To), String: blue

That way, if the player inputs: "Blue", "My favourite colour is blue", "I like blue" etc., all will meet the conditions of the Variable:Check

If someone knows of an easy way to do this, much help would be appreciated!

Comments

• I'm afraid you'll need to know a bit of scripting for this.  As the Enum that the Action makes use of is shared with other variables types (integer, for example), it wouldn't be possible to make a change like that without affecting all other uses of it.

However, it would be very simple to write a custom Action that does this check for you.  This tutorial guides you through the steps needed to write a custom Action, however this particular Action will need to derive from ActionCheck, as that provides the two output sockets instead of one.

Get up to speed with creating a custom Action, then create a new one that derives from ActionCheck (so public class MyActionName : ActionCheck), then write an overriding CheckCondition function that returns True/False based on your requirements.

A very basic example is provided in the form of ActionPlayerCheck.cs, which is used to determine the current player prefab - you could open that up to see how it works.
  • As always, thank you for the fast and thorough reply. I am actually excited to dive into more scripting, so this will be a great exercise :)