Forum rules - please read before posting.

Two requests (menu elements and asset action lists)

Hi Chris, I have two feature requests that I'd like to put forward as being very useful for creating reusable, modular "code".

1) A new action under Menu to hide or show all elements of a chosen menu. I use a custom diary system and inventory item closeups that rely on hiding and showing specific elements within a menu. As it stands now, I have to trawl through every element in these menus to hide them all, then show the specified one.

2) This one is a little more involved. I'd like the feature that, when using an asset-based action list as the source of an interaction, and that action list has parameters, those parameters can be set specifically for that interaction, directly in the inspector. I use a lot of reusable, parameter-based action lists. Currently if I want to affect those parameters, I have to create an in-scene action list that only calls an asset-based action list and sends the necessary parameters. It seems like a "waste" of an action list (really, just an extra click), and I think it'd be far more use-friendly and efficient to be able to set those parameters in the inspector.

Thanks!

Comments

• edited July 2016
    1) You could create a "hide all elements" ActionList and run it just before you show the one you need - you don't have to run them all each time.

It's also possible to write a custom Action that does this - a Menu's elements are stored in its elements List.

2) Very involved, in fact.  As the code is distinct to the ActionList: Run Action, I'd hesitant to make changes in case it causes breakages.  Is it really that much of a hassle as it is?
  • 1) Sure, but I still need to set up an action for each element, which makes for a very repetitive action list.

I'll take a dig around the custom action stuff. I haven't had any luck with that yet, but it'll be worth it if I can solve this.

2) Not a hassle, but this is more of a quality-of-life change. I can definitely live without this, but it'd make for a far more organised and neater workflow, especially with a large number of "superfluous" action lists that only contain a single action.