Forum rules - please read before posting.

[Feature Request] Inventory boxes: Show Categories Selectively.

edited July 2016 in Engine development
Hi! I just wanted to make official something I had voice in a post a while back. 

Basically, it would be of great help if we can selectively decide which categories can show on an inventory box. This can be used for sorting or categorization or for common industry uses, like showing all items which share a common trait even if their main category is essentially different, which would be specially useful for many crafting scenarios, where you only want related items to show up. You wouldn't want food to appear as an ingredient if your making weapons, right? But, you may want to if it's a special magical root or herb or what have you, which can also be eaten or used in food crafting (Pardon the vague example, but it's along that line of reasoning...).

As I see it, these could mean the addition of any of these 3 things in AC:

1. The exclusion of a category, or categories, in an inventory box.
2. The availability to select multiple categories in an inventory box.
3. The availability to utilize an Item's properties to decide if it's to be shown in an inventory box. (The most desirable, but probably the hardest?)

I'm aware this isn't a feature really necessary for old school Adventure games, but as far as I can see, there's already a lot of people using AC as a base for other types of game genres. or hybrids or variations of the adventure game. I'm pretty sure many others would benefit from this feature as well, as it would provide a lot of control over how items are used and how they are displayed to the players.

But, anyway, that's just my humble opinion.

Comments

• Food for thought.  One of the biggest issues isn't actually the technical aspect, but the fact that it would most likely require a change to existing inventory boxes that already limit to a category.  However I can appreciate that this would be useful in a wider scheme, so I will at least think about it.
  • Ummm, I see, but maybe you could just make a secondary type of inventory box? So as not to modify the standard one? (like a modified copy?)
  • Well, the current inventory box already has the functionality you're asking for - but in a limited capacity.  Having a separate element for more complex sorting would just add confusion, I think.