Forum rules - please read before posting.

Loading content - Episodic format

I've recently considered working in an episodic format as I have quite a long narrative but wish to get games out quicker.

As someone with limited programming knowledge I rely mostly on Adventure Creator and plan around that. I was wondering what issues I may run into working episodically.

For example:
I have a money system in place and depending on the player's actions that value or certain items will be dependant on how the player has played the game. They may end episode one without a gun and $60 or they may end up with no gun and $20.

What is the most simplistic was to have these values load up on the next episode?

I'm trying to avoid this approach however when you choose to give your player an less linear experience it seems apparent that their 'win state' will be player specific.

Comments

• Check section 9.7 of the manual - importing saves from other games.
  • Ah, I shall do that. Thank you Geo
  • It would also be nice if AC would offer an 'episodic menu' tool that we can use to link up the various .exe files to behave like one large adventure across > 1 project.

• edited March 2021
    With the custom needs and security implications involved in accessing a system's other .exe files, I feel that would be best left to a custom script. Certainly an AC menu could be populated with such data once attained by such means, however.