Forum rules - please read before posting.

Not able to trigger interactions when setting "Choose hotspot then interaction"

Hello!

So I'm trying to set up hotspot interactions in my sidescrolling project. I've managed to come as far as to being able to launch the hotspot interaction menu, which I can cycle through but I can't actually trigger the interactions (in my testing I'm trying to get Use and Look to work).

If I set it to context sensitive, then I can launch the two interactions by calling the keys mapped to InteractionA and InteractionB but if I set the interaction type to "Choose hotspot then interaction" then it doesn't work anymore for whatever reason.

I've gone through the old treads discussing similar issues and have made sure those settings are in place but it doesn't seem to resolve the issue.

Below are my settings if anyone has an idea of what might be wrong? I've also tried to set the "select interactions by:" to clicking menu instead but that doesn't work either (and then there is no highlighting to show which interaction in the menu you're on).

Thanks!

Comments

• Various fixes related to Interaction menus and keyboard control are coming in v1.53, but I don't know if they apply here.  Are you able to choose which interaction you want to run, even if you can't run it?

You need to define the CycleInteractions axis (or CycleInteractionsLeft / CycleInteractionsRight buttons) in your Input manager, as listed in the "Available inputs" box in the Settings Manager.

Do things improve at all if you uncheck Pause game when enabled? in the Interaction menu's list of properties?
  • Hi Chris!

Thanks for the quick response!

Cycleinteractions have been defined, and I'm able to cycle the interactions (choosing which one is highlighted in green), but I can't activate them in the end.

Interestingly enough, your suggestion to uncheck "Pause game when enabled" does actually let me activate them - the downside here though is that I actually don't want the character to move when enabled. Is this a bug?
  • Dont' know if it's a bug bu in the meantime you can use Engine Manage: Systems to disable player movement (and interactions/hotspots, if needed) while the menu is open.
  • I believe this issue has been fixed as part of the upcoming v1.53 update, which I hope to be releasing this week.
  • Great stuff looking forward to testing it out!
  • To follow up on this, unfortunately it looks like even after updating to v1.53, checking the box "Pause  game when enable" for Interaction still breaks the ability to trigger the various interactions.
  • Sorry about that - I will look into this further for v1.53a.