Forum rules - please read before posting.

How to require two taps/clicks to use an item with an Actionlist.

edited July 2016 in Technical Q&A
Alright, I have what's probably a silly question. Recently I've started attaching action lists to my items and I've noticed they immediately start behaving differently. 

Without action lists, items get selected when you click them, (and they appear on the pointer to drag outside if that's what you want), but when they have an action list attached they run the action list immediately on the first click. But, the thing is, I want the player to select an item (and show him a description), then have him tap/click the item again to use it. and I don't seem to see any option in either the settings manager or inventory manager to allow that.

Am I missing something? (By the way, I'm using "mouse and keyboard" as a control style)

Comments

• No, this is not an option.  The closest option you have is to set Inventory interactions to Multiple, which allows for an Interaction Menu to open when clicking an item to allow for the choice of multiple interactions, much like Hotspots.

You could, however, write a custom Action that precedes all others in your ActionList that basically checks if the item you just clicked was already clicked once before.  If so, select the item as normal; if not, show a description.

A custom "check" Action is a little more complex than a standard Action.  First, it must derive from ActionCheck rather than Action.  Second, it must provide an override of the function CheckCondition, which returns True or False depending on the Action's result.

You can see a very simple example in the ActionVisibleCheck.cs script, which is the script for the Object: Check visibility Action.