Forum rules - please read before posting.

Is "Game Camera Animated" combined with "Sync With Target Movement" bugged?

edited August 2016 in Technical Q&A
Hey guys,

Just a question, because since I did a general test with this, things seem to have changed (maybe?).

I set up an animated Game Camera, switch to "Sync With Target Movement", create my Animation, create my Path, and plug it all together.
However, as soon as my character steps into the area that would normaly play the very first frame of the animation (Node 0) the animated Camera jumps right to the end of the animation.

I tested a bit around and found out that, if you add a second node, the animation will jump to the point, where the character should be, would he stand at the "middle" node.

So basically I don't know what I did right or wrong.
I set it up several times now, and I can replicate it pretty easily.

Did anybody encounter this?

Comments

• Thanks for the report.  I shall look into it, and will let you know if I need more information to recreate it.
  • Sounds good.
    I'll try it again in a couple of days, once I worked on a couple of other things to see if I just did something wrong, or if it was a case of the mondays.
  • Can't see anything broken here - is a previously-working camera no longer working for you?

It'll likely need us to see some shots of your Path / Camera arrangement.
  • edited August 2016
    So!
    I set it up again, with a complete fresh mind, but the same thing happens.
    This is a section of the scene

The camera and the path

The Path

The Camera animation

image image
    And finally, the bigger scene with both areas to walk in, as well as the points where the characters can switch from one scenen to the next.

I think I'm doing something wrong, but I have no idea what

Edit:
    I did load up a scene from a year ago, where it actually worked. And it still works.
    However, checking the set up, it was virtually the same, but on the Z-axis and not the X-axis.
    This shouldn't be a difference though
  • Looks fine to me.  I've made a test of my own, recreating the same movement along the X-axis, which you can download here.   You'll need Direct movement to navigate it, but you should find that it works for you.  Assuming it does, there must be some subtle difference between that and yours, which we can then look into.
  • edited August 2016
    Oh wow, it took me a couple of hours (well, it felt like it. A lot trial and error) to find the actual difference!
    I moved the points of the Path in Y, to bring them up the the level of my terrain. Once I leveled them out on Y 0, and set them up in topological view, everything worked!

I don't really know why this happened, but my guess would have been that the Y positioning kind of messed up the initial measuring of where the characters position is, in relation to that path.

Thank you so much for that example!

Lesson learned.
  • edited August 2016
    Odd - the script specifically does away with the the Y-positions of both the path and the player.  But I'm glad it's now working, sorry for the trouble.
  • No need to be sorry though.
    Now I am aware that I need to place this at Y = 0, there is no trouble to be had.

Thanks for helping out!