Forum rules - please read before posting.

Skipping cutscenes with nested cutscenes

Hello once more!

Just quickly, so you guys know what I'm doing, here my setup:
I'm making several cutscenes, so I can easily use them as I see fit and to keep my "use" Actions in the scene tidy, and not turn them into 30+ action-monsters.

This is my situation:
Through a hotspot, I trigger a cutscene. After that I want to run a different cutscene, so I put an "Action: Run" command at the very and of the first cutscene, putting in the one that should play after it.
If it comes to "playing" the cutscenes, everything is fine and exactly how it is supposed to be.
However, if I want to skip it I run into problems:
Characters are not moving/teleporting to the places they move in the nested Cutscene.
I'm not really sure what causes that. I did turn on the "play from beginning" and "wait until the end".
It does work if I play it on its own and skip it.

So I think my question is, is there a method of triggering another cutscene right after another cutscene, that doesn't involve it being nested in the cutscene?
Would that be a good thing to ad maybe? An "Exit"-Action for every cutscene?

Thanks for reading!

Comments

• First of all, be sure to have a look over Section 5.5 of the Manual, as it covers some important info about skipping Cutscenes.

Does this issue occur when the "root" Cutscene is run, or the nested?  When a nested Cutscene is skipped, internally AC kills it and re-runs the "root" Cutscene again - but running each Action within it instantly.  When it reaches the link to the nested Cutscene, it does the same thing.

Does your link to run the new Cutscene occur based on variable values, do your Cutscenes involve parallel branches (using ActionList: Run in parallel), and do your characters move more than once when run normally?  Without knowing any more details I can only speculate.

It'll be important to simplify this issue down to its simplest form - if you can create a pair of Cutscenes that demonstrate the problem with just one object, e.g. a character's position - then it should become clear what the cause problem is.
  • Alrighty!
    I did some tinkering and here is what causes it:

(Version 1.52a)

Cutscene_01 has the Character walks to Marker_01 with "Run in parallel".
    At the end, the nested "Cutscene_02" will be triggered.

Cutscene_02 has the character walk to Marker_02, regularly (NOT with "Run in parallel").

It doesn't matter if I skip it in Cutscene_01 or Cutscene_02, the normal movement will be ignored and the character will end up at Marker_01, even if the Character has finished it's movement in Cutscene_01.

If I, instead of letting it "run inparallel" do it normaly, it skips just fine.

Should I export a quick package of my testscene?
  • See the last paragraph of the Manual section I mentioned.  If you're running chains of Actions in parallel, their order is very important - as each chain is skipped in full before the next.  What could be happening is that it runs the wrong chain first.

Try swapping around the wires for the parallel chains.  It should be that, when auto-arranged in the ActionList Editor window, the chains are skipped left-to-right.
  • Oh geez.
    I did not understand that the Run in Parallel will skip the actions by their number (1 first, after it is done, 2 and so on).
    I guess that also means that, if a "Action:Run" is in #1, it won't look into #2?

Sorry again, I should have spent a bit more time on that instead of jumping to conclusions too fast.
    Thanks for the heads up!
  • If there's an ActionList: Run in chain #1, it won't stop the Actions in chain #2 from being read - only affect the order in which they're skipped.