Forum rules - please read before posting.

Bug - UnityUI Subtitles not appearing on clean build

I recently created a clean build of a 3D game, UnityUI menus, context-sensitive point and click control. I've used the new game wizard to set up the game, and the only thing I've imported from outside is a character model, which I've turned into a player using the character wizard.

This is my fourth attempt thus far, but the results are the same each time 
- the InGame menu is click-throughable (i.e. no RectTransform boundary, but this is easy enough to fix)
- when dialogue is played, the subtitle menu is not visible. I can see it activating in the hierarchy, and according to its properties it contains the correct contents (speaker name, text) but is invisible in both the scene and game windows.

I seem to be getting a lot of issues with the UnityUI lately, maybe I should just stick to the DefaultAC!

Comments

• I would rather fix any outlying issues with it.  Which versions of Unity and AC?

If it's activating in the Hierarchy, is there any other component or child object that isn't showing?  Once dialogue begins, try pausing the game and attempt to manually enable the UI - we'll need to know what isn't happening by itself in order to fix it.
  • Unity 5.3.5p8, and AC 1.53 are what I'm using.

All three children (Panel, txtSpeaker, txtSubtitles) are enabled, and all of their components are active. I added a couple of other elements (Button, image) to see if they'd appear as well when the UI became active, but still no luck.
  • Can't tell if this is a Unity issue or an AC one.  How are you transitioning your Menu?  If using a Canvas Group Fade, try setting it to None.

If all else fails, copy over the Subtitles Menu from the Demo_MenuManager asset and switch the Source to Unity Ui Prefab - if you haven't modified the original, it should work - and you can then duplicate it and modify it.
  • I haven't touched any of the settings on the menu, this is exactly as it starts from UnityUI default, but your suggestion has helped that - it appears to have defaulted to None for the transition type (and I'm sure it was Canvas Group Fade last time I created a new project), but switching it to Canvas Group Fade causes it to appear.

Another default setting that seems to have changed is the hotspot label - it no longer follows the cursor, but appears in the centre of the screen all of the time, as it appears to no longer possess a RectTransform boundary by default.

I've managed to sort things out on my end by importing assets from a different project, so it's alright on mine for now.