Forum rules - please read before posting.

Clicking on the floor for movement in first person

Hi there,

I'm trying to prototype a first-person game in which the cursor is always locked in the center of the screen for free-aim control. In addition, interactions should also be allowed while the cursor is locked. Up until now, all this works perfectly in my prototype. What doesn't work so well is the movement of the player. In much the same way I point the locked cursor at a hotspot and interact with it (which works perfectly well, by the way), I would like to be able to point the locked cursor at the floor and move to that point. The only way I could achieve anything close was by temporarily switching the movement method to Point And Click and releasing the cursor lock. Only then I was able to use pathfinding on a navmesh while in first-person by clicking on the floor. The problem is I need free-aim at all times which don't work in Point And Click movement method.

My question is, did I miss anything? Is there any way to achieve what I'm attempting? Why is the camera perspective (first-person vs. third person) so tied to the movement method (point-and-click vs. direct-control)? I mean, theoretically, any combination between the camera perspective and the movement method should be perfectly viable in an adventure game.

Thanks.

Comments

• "First Person" mode encompasses player movement as well as camera rotation.  If you wanted to make use of Point And Click movement but from a first-person perspective, you would have to either use a custom camera script or modify the code.  You can see in PlayerMovement.cs how different functions are run based on the chosen movement method, but I'd recommend a custom camera.  See section 4.6 of the Manual for how custom camera types can be integrated.
  • Hmm... I read section 4.6 of the manual but I'm not sure I follow. How can a custom camera be used for Point And Click movement from a first-person perspective? Can you please elaborate a bit on that?

• I'm saying make use of Point And Click for your movement method, but implement a custom camera that rotates with the mouse cursor, but attaches itself to your player object.  That it is in first-person does not mean it has anything to do with AC's own "First Person" movement option.
  • Ok, thanks. I'll take a look.