Forum rules - please read before posting.

Advancing dialogue through cutscene

Hello!

Maybe there's a different way of doing this that I haven't been able to figure out, but this is basically what I'm trying to accomplish.

I have a cutscene where the character will move to a point, say a line of dialogue, and then play a custom animation.

What I'm finding problematic is ideally, I would like the dialogue text to display until the player presses a button, at which point the rest of the cutscene plays out.

If I set the cutscene to "is skippable", then it obviously just ends the whole cutscene when pressing the interact button, but if I set the dialogue setting "Display speech forever until user skips it" then I'm kind of stuck depending on if the cutscene is skippable or not. If it's not, then the cutscene is stuck forever since it's waiting for the player to skip the dialogue, but that's the same button apparently that would skip the whole cutscene so it's disabled.

Is there a way around this? Like bind a different key maybe to skip dialogue forward (ideally I'd like a different solution though).

Any thoughts would be great!

Thanks

Comments

• You might be able to do that if you add a [wait] tag at the end of the line you want to be displayed until the player clicks to continue.
    Maybe that helps?
  • Thanks for the suggestion Suro!

I played around with this but I can't seem to get it working with that unfortunately.
  • edited September 2016
    Oh another thought!
    What about splitting up the cutscene into 2 cutscenes? One being skippable, the other one not?
  • You're a clever man Suro - that did the trick!

Thanks!
  • Hmm though that gave birth to a new issue - the cutscene the is not skippable, if player presses interact button, the cutscene starts over, so if you keep pressing it it just loops.

Is there a way to disable the interact button temporarily via action lists? Under player: constrain, there's only options to restrict movement.
  • Engine: Manage System seems to offer that ability, though it's not quite behaving as it should. I'll play around with that though for a while to see if I can get it working.
  • The inputs to skip cutscenes and skip speech are separate entities - they'll only cause a conflict if you map them to the same keyboard button or mouse click.

If you need them to both be mapped to the same input, you could try a sneaky simulation of the EndCutscene input.  In section 2.14 of the Manual, you can read about Active Inputs - these allow you to run ActionLists when the player presses a key under certain conditions.

What you could do, therefore, is replace the EndCutscene input in your Input Manager with e.g. "TryEndCutscene", and create an Active Input for it.  Then when the user presses it, your ActionList can check the state of e.g. a boolean variable (that you set as appropriate), and if it's OK to end the cutscene, simulate the pressing of the "EndCutscene" button manually with the following code:

AC.KickStarter.playerInput.SimulateInputButton ("EndCutscene");

(That code would go in the Run function of a custom Action - see this tutorial)

With regards to the cutscene starting over upon user input, that could be a bug.  Please post details about that in a new thread (including screenshots or steps to reproduce) and I will look into it.