Forum rules - please read before posting.

Unwanted delay when skipping dialogue

Hi!

I've set up my dialogue to display forever until user skips it, and it's all working fine except whenever a new line of text displays, it takes maybe 2.5-3 seconds before a user is actually able to skip it to the next set of dialogue line.

Is there a way to reduce this time so that if a user wanted to, they can just fly through the dialogue without reading.

Thanks!

Comments

• Does this occur for all text?  Are you using speech tokens in your dialogue text?

There is a field labelled Time before can skip (s) in your Speech Manager - what is it set to?
  • Hi Chris,

Seems to occur for all text yes. No speech tokens in use.

I don't see the "Time before can skip (s)" in the speech manager - are you referring to "minimum display time (s)"? If so. this is set to 0.

Thanks!
  • Looks like the field only shows if the "display forever" feature is disabled.  If you uncheck Display subtitles forever until user skips it?, does the option then show?
  • If I disable "Display subtitles forever until user skips it", I get two options:

"Minimum display time (s)" - currently set to a value of 0
    "Display time factor" - also currently set to 0

How I currently have it set:

What I see if I uncheck "Display subtitles forever until user skips it?"

• The Minimum display time (s) should be visible when Display subtitles forever until user skips it? is checked - I will see to that in the next update.

However that is just a display issue, and its effect is still felt - meaning a value of zero should mean that there is no delay before the user can skip, and I'm unable to recreate the problem by coping your settings.

Have you added speech audio to the dialogue lines?  What happens if you set a very small value (e.g. 0.1) as the minimum display time?  Test with a separate Cutscene that just has a single Dialogue: Play speech Action.
  • Hi Chris,

No speech audio added to the game

Just tried there setting minimum display time to 0.1 - no change
    Have tested with multiple cutscenes many of which just had the one Dialogue action but unfortunately the issue remains.

• If you can PM me a .unitypackage that contains your Managers, ManagerPackage file, and a test scene that contains such a dialogue, I'll take a look at it.
  • Thanks Chris,

PM sent