Forum rules - please read before posting.

Where exactly does the NPC look when "facing player"?

Heya!

This is only a small question and not really a problem.

I use IK Head Movement, to make my characters look at things and Objects. During a Dialog I'd like the NPC to look into the players face, however, when I use the "Character: Face object" Action (with "Face Player?" checked) the NPC seems to look at the feet.
I wasn't able to figure out at which point the character is looking, but I thought it would be interesting. Mainly because I could punch in a small offset to make them look at the players Head, Hand, Legs if needed.
(Might be worth a request?)

Currently my workaround is, that the player Prefab will get an Empty, that is moved to the right position, so the NPC will look at the correct point.

Comments

• Yes, it'll look at the Player's origin, which should be their feet.  I'll look into having an option for them to look at the player's hear, but you'll likely have to ensure that the Player's "Neck bone" is assigned in their Inspector, as this is where the NPC would then look.
  • I did some testing around, and even when the object the NPC should look at is the neck or the head, they seem to stare at someones chest (which looks sometimes awkward with a female NPC :D ).

Right now the workaround is an empty, that is part of the NPC, shich hovers slightly above the head.
    I'll post some screenshots of comparisons, once I get back to my working pc!
  • (which looks sometimes awkward with a female NPC ).

:-S

That probably varies from character to character, depending on the length of their neck.  In that case, the workaround should be the recommended way - an empty gives you complete control over the positioning.
  • (which looks sometimes awkward with a female NPC ).

Oh lord :p

That probably varies from character to character, depending on the length of their neck.  In that case, the workaround should be the recommended way - an empty gives you complete control over the positioning.
  • Here the promised Screenshots!

Here it is without and "face objct" involved:

Here it is with "Facing Player" active. Notice how she looks at his origin (As Chriss suggested):

Instead of "Facing Player" I simply dragged in the Neck-Bone into the object she should look at.
    A little bit better!

Here I simply added an Empty, named it properly, and adjusted it to whatever I need.
    This is the best result I came up with:

So, yeah! An empty gives me the control I want! I'd even say it isn't a workaround, but maybe even best practice, as this empty COULD be teleportet to wherever you need it to be.

However! Chris, if you ever feel terribly bored and you want to add something I am most likely the only one asking for, I think a offset to the "Face Object" action would be awesome (from 0° to 90° or something?).
    But until that, the targeted empty totally does the trick!