Forum rules - please read before posting.

Unity Navigation without NavMeshSegments

edited August 2014 in Technical Q&A
Hi,

I am setting up my first game and wanted to make the character move. I follow the tutorials but I find the workflow rather complicated. Is it really mandatory to have NavMeshSegments? When I bake a NavMesh for my scene, the outline is perfect. Can't I just use that automatically calculated one? Having to redo all this now with NavMeshSegments seems like overkill.

From what I have seen raycasting on a NavMesh should be possible to detect clicks [1]. I suspect the functionality is already there in AC and I am just using it wrong so I would really like a nudge in the right direction.

[1] http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/325929/raycasting-on-navmesh.html

Cheers, Robert

Comments

• I usually don't use NavMeshSegments.

If your mesh have a collider is enough to use it for calculate Unity Navmesh and path find with it...

Now, to detect the clicks, as you say, you need to raycast the collider. Now that collider are the NavMeshSegments, but you can use any collider you want, just remember to put it on the Navmesh layer.
  • Works like a charme! Thanks a lot!
  • @ChrisIceBox: This is so much simpler! I really recommend to add this to the tutorial: Have your scene, make sure the floor has colliders, let your NavMesh be calculated by Unity, done.
  • @ChrisIceBox: what do you think of this? I just watched your awesome new 3D tutorial and you still have the rather complicated NavMeshSegment setup there. I really recommend you try out the automatic navmesh baking. It is waaaaay simpler :-)
  • NavMeshSegements are there because Point And Click games still need a "click area" for your mouse cursor - otherwise they're just an aid for baking your NavMesh and not necessary if you know what you're doing.
  • The game I tested this with was actually a P&C game. If you want to I can pack a project together and mail it to you if you send me your adress to make it clearer what I mean. I think you will really like the workflow.
  • If you click on my profile, you can send a PM.  But my point about the click area was that they match up exactly - no false positives when clicking a wall, for example.