Forum rules - please read before posting.

Question regarding Sketchbook Pro, Maya, and Blender

I just got a wacom intuos pro tablet along with a Sketchbook Pro yearly subscription. Regarding 2d art is Adventure Creator compatible with art/animations made in Sketchbook Pro? Or would it be best to invest in $9.99 a month for Photoshop?

Also, I'm learning Maya at my university. How would I successfully import a rigged character with it's animations and textures into Adventure Creator? Is there a tutorial for this? And since I'm using a student copy of Maya how compatible are alternatives such as Modo and Blender when importing 3d models?

Finally, as a student I'm on a budget. When is the next sale for AC?  

Comments

• edited January 2017
    I have the same tablet (medium size), and really love it - I use it mainly for 3D sculpting in Blender, plus some texturing work in Substance Painter.

Everything you mention will work fine with Unity, and by extension AC.

Getting a proper asset pipeline together is a big subject, but Unity will handle most formats.There are some "best practice" principles to learn, but it really depends on what you want to create - if you run into problems, there's plenty of wrong or outdated advice available online! :D

If you want to start building a game, I'd say screw Photoshop for now and buy AC instead.
  • Thanks Snebjorn for the quick response. I have the medium size as well and I went w/ Sketchbook Pro since it was on sale for $20 (for a whole year) as opposed to Adobe's $10 per month offering. I'm hoping Sketchbook will serve me well when painting UV maps. 

Also, I know AC is capable of Camera angles and pre-rendered backgrounds, but would it be possible to implement a combat system similar to the classic Resident Evil games (RE1-3 and Remake)? If so how would I incorporate that into AC? Could I possibly merge the control/ shooting mechanics of Survival Shooter into AC? 
  • edited January 2017
    While it's definitely possible to integrate a combat system with AC, it very much goes against the type of game AC was designed and optimised for, and you'd probably have to do quite a lot of custom scripting and be making some difficult design decisions to make it work.

A discussion probably better handled by Chris himself ...

My advice would be: get AC, use it to learn Unity thoroughly, and keep a clear vision of your own ideas throughout!
  • As @Snebjorn says, AC is very much geared towards traditional, non-combat, classic-style adventure games.  Features such as combat, enemies etc would all have to be added on via custom scripts.

That aspect of a survival game is actually the hardest to develop by some way - things like pre-rendered backgrounds and camera switching are quite trivial after that.  If that's your intended game type, I would actually recommend looking elsewhere other than AC - at least to begin with.

AC can have certain systems disabled to make way for your own, but it's essential to know how AC is "supposed" to work before going down that road.  If you do decide to make use of AC, you should first go through the 2D and 3D tutorials at the very least.  AC does have its own particular way of working, which you will need to be aware of before trying to adapt it to suit your own game's needs.
  • Thank you. I purchased AC. A Classic Resident Evil esque game without the combat mechanics seems plausible in AC. Essentially, Classic RE has some adventure qualities at it's core with it's item fetching and Myst-like puzzles.