Forum rules - please read before posting.

Move to Point

In case I want to move a character to a marker without any pathfinding or avoidance, do I still need to set-up navigation surfaces?

Comments

• No - when using the Character: Move to point Action, you can just uncheck Pathfind? to avoid all navigation algorithms.
  • Sorry to highjack this thread, but I'm not observing this behavior in my game.

I'm using this...:

...for an NPC to move to a marker.

And all is good and dandy until the default NavMesh is changed... and that NPC changes its destination for the closest border of the new default NavMesh.

If he wasn't supposed to path-find anything, why is he changing his destination?

I need to clarify that the NPC is outside the NavMesh that the player is using at the start. My intention is to use Character: Move to point actions so the NPCs walk around the whole map and do their daily routines, even when the player is not on the same screen and navmesh.

I know I could use predefined paths for this... but I would like to know why this is happening at all, taking into account that they're not pathfinding. :-/
  • edited January 2018
    Though they're not pathfinding, they're still on a very simple path of just one node - their destination.  When the NavMesh is reset, all moving characters have their paths reset.

It's a pretty rare instance that this would occur, but I'll see if it's possible to account for this.
  • Yeah, I'm not following what you'd call 'best practices' guidelines for my game mechanics.  :P

At the end, I'm using AC, a plugin designed to make adventure games, to get lifesim behaviors from my characters, that in turn 'live' inside a really big collection of game screens in just one Unity scene. There are no prefabs in there and all that it is shown is loaded from the start. I code like a maniac! 
    :))

Anyway, if you could make optional that reset for already moving characters, that would be great. In the meantime, I'll use predefined paths.

Thank you!