Forum rules - please read before posting.

Designing a Conversation menu

Hi,

I try to make myself a Conversation menu, that should look like this:

The problem I have is, that I only get this layout to work if I switch the menu itself to "Size: Manual" which is not looking good if for example only 2 options are visible. If I set the size to automatic it is not possible to give the scroll buttons on the left relative values for position and size. The only way to create the layout shown in the screenshot would be to switch to "Absolute Pixels" which does not work with switchable resolutions. What would be the way to keep this menu layout, but having automatic size control? Menu elements can only be horizontally or vertically aligned, but there are both alignments in the menu layout I am looking for.

Comments

• You should make use of Unity UI, which has considerably more options so far as dynamic layouts go.  It's recommended to make use of Unity UI for your Menus, once you're happy with their functionality within AC.

A tutorial for converting an AC-sourced Menu to Unity UI can be found here.  It is also covered as part of the 2.5D video tutorial here.
  • Ok, I rebuilt the Conversation Menu with Unity UI now. I basically followed the Inventory UI tutorial. It's working but I don't get how to make the Dialogue List dynamic now. What I mean is showing only two Options when only two are needed. Another thing is: What UI Element should I use to rebuild the timer bar?
  • AC's Timer element can be linked to a Unity UI Slider.

Your DialogList element should now have a When invisible field.  If you set it to Disable Object, the associated UI Button should be deactivated when not in use.  You will then have to build your UI such that it changes in size according to the active objects inside it, e.g. using a Vertical Layout Group.