Forum rules - please read before posting.

activate hotspot highlighting on Button Press

Hi,

I'm working on a third person adventure game and wrote a script that zooms the Camera in on the Press of L-trigger on the controller and calls an actionlist. 
Now what i want to do is to enable the hotspot higlighting only in this Mode and be able to cycle through them (in the actionlist, right now i constrain the character and i'm already able to cycle through the Hotspots, but i want them only to be highlighted when i'm in the zoom mode) 
What would be the best way to achieve this? mabe a general method or so to call once i Press the Button?
And also AC.Kickstarter.mainCamera.GetFocalDistance (); works really great! Is there also a way to use this to rack the focus to the currently highlighted/selected Hotspot? 
Maybe even a checkbox in the Hotspot component in a future version of AC to set focus on higlighting or something like that?

Thank you

Comments

• Well, Hotspots and Cameras are treated separately - I think things would start getting confusing if there started being options like that.  A custom script attached to the Hotspot should be able to take care of that, however.

By "hotspot highlighting", are you referring to just the highlight effect of Hotspots, or the ability for them to be interactive?  I'm assuming the latter, i.e. when not zoomed in, Hotspots are not interactive.  If this is the case, you could try using the Engine: Manage systems Action to enable/disable the Interaction system as necessary.
  • Thanks a lot Chris, that was exactly what I was looking for! And is it possible that head turning is still active while the interaction system is disabled? (as kind of a hint so that the player knows when he is close to things he can interact with).
  • No - that's all part of the same system.  You could, however, turn that player's head manually via a custom script.  The Player script has a SetHeadTurnTarget function, which can be called with:

AC.KickStarter.player.SetHeadTurnTarget
  • Thank you, works Great!