Forum rules - please read before posting.

Adventure Creator Jam (unofficial)

2»

Comments

• Yeah, some sort of strange time acceleration seems to kick in when you're working under this kind of short deadline! :-D

I'm actually quite impressed with both entries - they clearly demonstrate how much can actually be done with AC on a really tight schedule.

More entries would have been great, but I hope this at least serves as inspiration for the rest of the AC community.

• Please hold any updates until after the voting. Who knows, you might find more bugs you want to fix in the first patch? ;-)
  • edited April 2017
    Oops, well I added it as a v0.1 in case anyone doesn't want to deal with the bug, but v0 is still there (laughing at me, with the bug, lol). Anyway, it was tiring, lol. But I hjad fun doing stuff I rarely do lately, like doing the animations, set, writting the dialogues. It's funny but over the last year I've found myself mostly doing programming, even though what I like the most is story and music composition xD
  • Anyway, I'm freaking tired (it's 4am here). And anyway, I doubt I'll be doing any more bug fixing on that project, lol. I'll just do that in my other projects (where I'll be using the same systems). Anyway, I really gotta rest. cheers.
  • Haha - sleep tight, you deserve it! :)
  • Voting ends tomorrow, so please check out the two entries and rate them - as mentioned, this is open to everyone, and I think they're both quite interesting small projects: https://itch.io/jam/adventure-creator-jam-unofficial/entries
  • edited April 2017
    I wish i had the time to participate, but unfortunately I was too busy with a project I'm working on! I hope there will be more  jams like this in the future,it's very interesting! A great inspiration indeed.
  • edited April 2017
    For me as the organiser, the greatest inspiration was getting the funding for the 1st prize pressed into my hand in cash from a complete stranger in a bar, just because he loved adventure games and heard me and a friend talking about it.

I told him he shouldn't expect the next Monkey Island from a 72 hour game jam, but he insisted - and I can't make any sense of the email address he wrote on a piece of napkin, so if your first name is Thomas and you were out drinking in Copenhagen a few weeks back and supported this because you just love adventure games - GET YOUR RATINGS IN!

• Aaaaand ... it's over!

Alverik wins with "Lost Spirits".
  • Cool :) I never thought I'd win on my first jam xD. Anyway, it was fun, I do wish there were more entries though. Hope next time more people enter. Oh, and I did love the joke at the end of Being, it was hilarious (I'm not too good with comedy myself, I'm best at serious stuff, lol).
  • Second place - just like when I tried boxing.

Well done Alverik!

• Congrats Alverik and Deckard_89 also. Very good for a short time ! I have to admit
     "Lost spirits" has a 
    very intriguing idea.This would be a good story if it would continued to develop!
  • Thanks @salex

To be honest while I was writing the dialogues (following my base idea), I already had some ideas, and I already knew the water was going to be the "drink" part and a key to the story. But, at first I wasn't sure what the water was going to actually do. It wasn't until I was writing the old man's last cutscene that the "water of life" idea just popped up and seemed to fit so well (and made sense so well), that it made everything else click. It made me feel, woah, this could actually be an interesting idea for a story. So, I don't know, I might revisit the idea some time, specially if I can get/make proper 3d models and stuff. Because of the lack of time I ended up making everything out of standard primitives. But I had already setup the logic for a few more conversations per character, and I had planned to have two more scenes (to collect items), but I just didn't manage to finish in time to add more. lol
  • Because I couldn't really take part in the AC jam (being the organiser) I did a five hour game jam today and created this: https://spectralstar.itch.io/vinterskygge-

Based on AC, but no real gameplay - five hours is not much time, but I created all content, including the music, in the five hours.
  • And there I was using "I only had 24 hours!" as an excuse :))

Nice work Snebjorn - I enjoyed guiding the little Terminator around the Christmas Tree Park lol. Seriously though, you somehow created a great atmosphere in that ridiculous timeframe - probably would have taken me five hours just to make the music.