Forum rules - please read before posting.

Debugging Action Lists

I am trying to figure out how to step through action lists in order to debug them. I can set a breakpoint on an action in an action list and it appears to pause the game. Not clear what the options are from here but If I press the run button it appears to execute the rest of the action list but the input focus doesn't return to the game.
I can't find any reference to what happens when you hit a breakpoint. It would make sense if one could step through each action in the action list while viewing variables and watching the flow of the actions, and when the last one is stepped the game gets the focus again.
I hope I'm just missing something obvious but I can't find anything on the forums or in the documentation.
Thanks in advance...

Comments

• If I'm reading you right, the focus being lost is a behaviour of Unity - clicking anywhere outside the Game window during runtime will cause focus to be lost until a click is made again inside.  You can emulate the behaviour through script, however, with the EditorApplication.isPaused variable.

The "live values" of Variables are be shown in the Variables Manager, provided that Show realtime values? is checked.

When a break-point is hit, the relevant Action in the ActionList Editor window will be highlighted in green.  This window also allows you to toggle comments on individual Actions, and these can be sent to the Console when run via an option at the bottom of the Settings Manager.

As the breakpoint system uses Unity's own editor-pausing features (the breakpoint itself calls Debug.Break()), I'm not sure what else can be done to improve things.  Suggestions are always welcome, however.