Forum rules - please read before posting.

What's the best way to work w/ pipe delimited language csv?

edited April 2017 in Technical Q&A
Hi,
Does anyone have a tried and true workflow to work with the exported language CSV when working with multiple languages?

My translators use a text editor to open the csv, but reading the pipe delimited content has been difficult for them.

Opening the csv in Excel of Google Sheets seems to bring with it character encoding and/or delimiting issues (ie. no support for pipe delimiting in Google Sheets).

I'd greatly appreciated if anyone could share their experiences with this. Thanks!

Comments

• edited April 2017
    For what it's worth, I worked on a project a few years back (not AC but similar workflow) which supported I think seven languages. After many errors and much frustration, I ended up just doing the conversion myself from the Excel files received from the translators.

EDIT: For other projects requiring text input from several non-technical and off-site people I've actually set up a database with a web front-end to avoid formatting errors. Whether this is worth the trouble obviously depends on the amount of text and number of people involved.
  • Thanks for the input. You've given me something to think about. This approach will take some work, but it might just be within technical reach (I'm not a programmer).
  • Whatever you decide to do, test it early and test it often - not just before an international release. Learn the easy way from someone who learned the hard way! :-)
  • I recommend using OpenOffice to handle your file-editing.  It allows you to explicitly choose the delimiter characters when importing, and I've never had an issue with it in my own testing.
  • Oh, nice. I haven't tried that yet. Thanks Chris!