Forum rules - please read before posting.

2D Dynamic Lighting?

I've watched a fair few Unity tutorials for 2D dynamic lighting and attempted to use a couple of free dynamic lighting assets, but nothing seems to works with Adventure Creator. Any light object created in the scene doesn't emit any light, which is obviously the main thing needed for this to work. I assume I'm missing something obvious as I'm relatively new to both Unity and Adventure Creator.

Comments

• Umm, well, when I was deciding if I should work with 2D or 3D for all my upcoming projects, this was one of the things I looked up. To create the effect, usually, you just give the sprites a normal map. Course, it's not as simple as that, specially making the normals and getting a good shader, but that's what it boils down to.

As far as I know AC shouldn't really affect the way lights work. I don't remember ever seeing the option to create lights in the scene manager either. If you are creating the lights from the regular hierarchy right click dropdown options then they should work same as usual. Do make sure the lights are in front of the sprites though, if they are behind the sprites it's not going to do you much good. You may have to make sure they are realtime lights too (not sure how well this'll work with baked lights).

Anyway, what assets were those you said you tried? Each tends to have it's own workflow so make sure you get properly acquainted with their usage on none AC Scenes first.

Also, I'm sure I've seen @snebjorn and some other of the guys in the forums experimenting with dynamic lighting for sprites, it might be a good idea to wait for their input too (I ended up using 3D so my experience with this effect was rather short).
  • Indeed, naming the assets you're trying to make use of will help us know what's going on.  However, I would recommend making sure that you can get such effects working in a non-AC scene, first - so that we can separate the issues related with getting the assets working individually, from the issues with getting them to work together.

AC does not do any special rendering tricks - it just makes use of Unity's own sprite rendering system to display 2D objects.
  • Thanks for your responses. I really am very much a beginner, and it turns out I missed the very crucial step of applying a new material to the sprites that can be affected by lighting. I was just placing lights all over the shop and couldn't figure out why they weren't affecting anything. The tutorials *had* mentioned this step, but I didn't fully understand what it was for and assumed it was for something else. 

So yeah, sorry, very stupid mistake.