Forum rules - please read before posting.

Some questions before I buy (camera/inventory)

edited August 2014 in Technical Q&A
AC looks great, but I have some questions before buying.

I would like to use a first person camera that can smoothly fly to different places in the scene based on where the player touches/clicks. It would be controlled by separate asset called camera path animator https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/617
There would also be a back button that will take the player back to the original view of the entire room(causing the camera to reverse its path)
Can AC's movement/character/camera be disabled for this or does AC provide a camera as robust as Camera path animator?

Also, I noticed in the demo touching an item gives a use/look at feature. Can this be configured to simply add the item to the inventory after touching it(without the popup mini menu)? Can an item in the inventory simply be selected first and then used on an object(without a mini menu)?

Does AC have an auto save feature that can be used after each scene change or item pick up?

Comments

• You do not need a popup mini menu or a use/look icon. You can simply add an inventory item with a click. You add an inventory item almost anywhere. The character could walk on an invisible trigger and it could add an inventory item (although I don't know why you'd want to do that, I'm just saying there are tons of possibilities.) And yes you can select an item and use it on an object without a pop up menu. (all menus are optional)

AC does have an autosave feature that can be used after any action.

AC does have a pretty robust camera system but I have not experimented yet with having the camera follow a path so I'll leave that for someone else to answer.
  • To be honest, id just buy PLAYMAKER, and use the iTween paths to make your route and call from it. (This is what i do when i need a path made, and dont need to use an animated path that i animated for the camera specifically)

Since CPA basically used nodes that you manually place to path your camera for an event, you should be able to initiate that with triggers and just using a "Camera Switch" action, obviously putting the CPA path script on the camera you are switching you from the Main Camera.

(AC uses any other game camera created by AC as simply a placeholder view i believe so that the Main Camera knows where to move when a camera Action is called.)

I dont see any issue with using AC and CPA from this side of things.

Hope this helps
  • I'm not familiar with the asset you've mentioned, but AC does also have an "Animated GameCamera" prefab.  It allows you to play a camera animation that's been created as an "internal" Unity animation clip.  If this other asset outputs animations in it's own format, then I'd say you should probably stick with something else.  I'm all for getting newcomers into AC, but when it's not right for the job, it's not right for the job.
  • Thanks for the info everyone. I think I can do without CPA since there seems to be so many ways to animate the camera. It's good to see that AC has such a helpful community.