Forum rules - please read before posting.

Out of nowhere loading saves has stopped working

Hi there!

Odd situation I'm finding myself in especially since I haven't gone changing any settings not had I upgraded AC in a long time.

All of a sudden I've noticed the following:
If I choose to enable "Load scenes asynchroniously?" and chosing to use a loading screen, then loading a save from the title screen menu will work just fine, showing an animated loading graphic and eventually loading up the scene.

However once in game, the game will just hang on a non-animating loading screen forever if I choose to load a save file and never progress beyond this.

If I choose to not have a loading screen everything works
If I choose to have a loading screen and unchecking the option to load scenes asynchroniously, it also works but then the loading animation is static instead.

Anyone ever encounter this?
I tried upgrading AC to the latest version but no luck.

Comments

• Is your loading scene an "AC" one, i.e. one with a GameEngine?

When it locks, are we talking about a system lock / crash, or is it just not reponding to clicks etc?  If you enable "List active ActionList in Game Window?" at the bottom of the Settings Manager, what is shown when this occurs?
  • Hi Chris,

The loading scene is an AC one, though it doesn't have a GameEngine object. I tried adding one but it made no difference.
    The locking is just the game seemingly forever loading, it doesn't crash but never progresses beyond a loading stage. I can see minimal CPU usage on the compiled build of the game, but no disk usage in the task manager.

I enabled the "List active ActionList in Game Window?" option, but the whole window displaying the ActionList info disappears once the loading screen displays. the last message in the console is just saying "File read:" and then gives the path to the file save location.
  • Small update, if I leave the GameEngine object in the loading scene, then the AC status window is visible during the "frozen" loading page, but all it's sayig is "Current game state: Normal"
  • edited September 2017
    The loading scene is an AC one, though it doesn't have a GameEngine object

To clarify, AC only considers a scene to be an "AC" one if a GameEngine object is present in it.

Have you set a Delay before and after? value, and what version of Unity are you using?  I'll need to attempt a recreation.

UPDATE: Managed to recreate it, will work on a fix.
  • edited September 2017
    Good to hear the issue was reproducible. Whilst the info might no longer be neccesary:

Delay before and after? is set to a value of 1
    Unity version: 5.5.2f1

Just seen the new update released and can confirm issue is resolved - thanks!
  • edited September 2017
    Hmm however now a new problem seems to arise. When I now load a game, the screen will stay black after loading, and the AC status window will say "Current game state: Paused" - if I hit esc (which pauses/unpauses), then the camera will fade in.

Issue seems semi-random and doesn't seem to depend on using loading screens or not.

It seems that when the screen is black and game is paused, the actual pause menu is active as well, if I move up and down I can hear the pause menu butons making noises, and if i scroll all the way down until I hear no more button hover sounds and hit enter, it does quit the game which is the last button in the menu.

It's almost as if when saving, the save state is including that the pause menu is active or something?

• edited September 2017
    It's almost as if when saving, the save state is including that the pause menu is active or something?

If so, I'd expect this would only occur with save files created after the update.  Is that the case, or is it also occuring for old saves?

Let's try to work out the source of the issue - revert your MenuManager to the default (Default_MenuManager or Demo_MenuManager), and see if the problem still occurs (with new saves).  If not, we'll need to look into your own Menus to see the issue.  In which case, please share as much as you can about them - including how you transition to/from your Pause menu and your Save/Load menus.
  • Also, try to see if there is a pattern regarding e.g. which scene is loaded vs the one that you're loading from, the "Loading" settings (loading screen, asynchronous, etc).
  • I'm able to work around this issue by having an action list to run after loading that turns off the pause menu - at least I haven't seen the issue re-occur since I put that in place and am happy enough to leave it as is.

If you want to investigate it further however, let me know and I'll perform above steps.

What I did conclude before implementing this was:
    - it did also occur with old saves
    - No difference in which scene is loaded, I could observe the issue in all that I tried with and from loading from other scenes
    - I tried with all manners of loading screens from not using one, to using one with and without asychronous loading

• edited September 2017
    It's commendable that you're satisfied, but this will need to be addressed - if you've encountered this bug then it's inevitable that other users will as well.

If you could, please test a code change to SceneChanger.cs which you can find here.  The code snippet should replace the function beginning private IEnumerator LoadLoadingScreen (line 270-341)

If that makes no difference, then please do look into the steps I layed out earlier.
  • Ok so I've tested the code changes in SceneChanger.cs, and unfortunately it does not resolve the issue.

However, I'm not able to reproduce the issue using Default_MenuManager so the problem must sit with my own menu manager.
  • OK, in that case could you PM me it to me, along with any assets (textures/fonts/canvas prefabs) that link to it?  They can be packaged up as a .unitypackage file from the Edit menu.