Forum rules - please read before posting.

Cinemamachine support?

Hello,

Are there any plans to introduce Cinemamachine support anytime soon?

If not, is there perhaps a way to temporary turn off Adventure Creator? If I'd like to come back to using default Unity's camera system instead, use Cinemachine and then turn the AC back on? 

Comments

• In what capacity?

If you're just looking to make use of Cinemachine cameras, then you should be able to integrate it with AC already by making the Cinemachine "brain" an AC Camera (see Section 4.3 on Custom cameras in the Manual).

If you want to disable AC because you're looking to use Cinemachine in conjunction with Timeline, you can use the provided Engine: Control Timeline Action to automatically handle camera control.

However, it is possible to turn off both AC's MainCamera and AC itself - see Sections 4.6 and 12.4 of the Manual respectively.
  • Dear Chris,
    I'm also using cinemachine now, i just made the cinemachine brain the main camera and controlling the cameramovement & transitions by activating/deactivating cameras. I'm using the activate/deactivate actions that were posted in this forum, but since i'm relying heavily on assetlists that are not inside of the scene, the connections to the objects to activate get lost once i change the scene. is there a better way to solve this?`Or is an official cinemachine integration planned in the future? (like having the controls like in your current camera switch action to overwrite the currently active vcam, like it works in the timeline right now for example)

Thank you so much 
  • And what would be the best way to integrate Cinemachine Cams into Cutscene sequences? 
  • edited September 2017
    @Onat:

Which forum-found Actions are you referring to?

I don't recommend making the AC MainCamera the same as the Cinemachine brain - either make it an AC GameCamera (attach the "Basic Camera" component - see the Manual's Section 4.3) or enable/disable that and AC's MainCamera simultaneously so that only one is active at any one time.

To disable/enable the MainCamera, you only need to refer to static components, not specific object references, as covered in Section 4.6.  If the MainCamera is disabled, other AC GameCameras need not be - they only act as references for the MainCamera.

How do you mean about integrating CM Cams into Cutscenes?  The same workflow (disabling the MainCamera before, re-enabling after) should work in that case too, and the Engine: Control Timeline Action can optionally do this automatically if you're using Timeline.
  • Dear Chris,

The Problem is, that the cinemachine Brain seems to need an active camera component to work, so making a game camera out of the brain doesn't work (as a game camera should have a deactivated camera component) 
    So right now the only option I seem to have is to either use your camera system, OR cinemachine, but can't have them work depending on what I need. What would be the best way to make use of both?

The Actions i found in the forum was the object activate and deactivate (which are in the wiki too). The way I use cinemachine was by activating and deactivating the VCams to make transitions from one camera to another, but since there was no constant id option in the code of the actions, it didn't work from assetlists that were not in the scene. I extended the found actions with that option but it still didn't work when the objects were deactivated when loading a new scene, so the way I'm doing it right now is, that I wrote a custom action, that enables or disables the cinemachine component of my VCams so the Gameobject itself can be active the whole time. I'm still testing it but i can upload it once it's tested to work.

• Please do - I'm sure others will find it useful.  But I would need links to the Actions you found to know what you're referring to.

Fair point about the Cinemachine Brain.  I would suggest in that case that the best approach would be to have AC's MainCamera disabled whenever CM is being used, and vice-versa.

Disabling GameObjects themselves is generally bad practice, so disabling CM's Brain and Camera components should be enough.  AC's MainCamera can be disabled without reference to any GameObject in the scene, as covered in Section 4.6 of the Manual:

AC.KickStarter.mainCamera.Disable ();

A custom Action could handle the state of both CM and AC in one, with an option for which one gets enabled.  I can aid you with writing one if you like, but if you have something in the works already you may like to see how you go with it and I'll advise with what you have.