Forum rules - please read before posting.

Cannot find linked UI Element...

I have constructed a starting menu screen, with the usual "Start", "Load", "Settings" and "Exit" options one would expect to find, complete with their own sub-menus. I've added them to the AC Menu list, and initially they appeared to be working just fine. That is, however, until I changed scene.

Even though I've set them as "Unity UI in Scene" rather than "Unity UI Prefab", when trying to run the other scene it brings up the error message: "Cannot find linked UI Element", and lists all of the buttons, sliders and components.

I suspected at first that it might have been because I hadn't added the scene to the project in the "Build Settings" menu, but that only meant that the AC Menu was able to find the buttons with the "search scenes" option.

I've built scene-specific menus before without this kind of thing happening, but this is the first time this has arisen for me!

Comments

• In which version?

Likely it's because the Menu itself is "on", so far as AC understands it.  An "in scene" Menu doesn't have any concept of which scene it's actually used in - just which ID numbers to look for when it's called upon.

This means that you can use the same scene objects in other scenes beside the Main Menu scene, should you need them, but does require the Menu to be turned off / locked when not necessary.
  • I'm using AC 1.59, with the 2017.1.0f3 personal Unity.

Checking through my various menus, and building a new one from scratch, I have left the menus as not Enabled on Start, and also Start Game Locked Off to see if it helps to make AC stop looking for them. The messages are still appearing in the debug list, unfortunately.
  • Thanks, I see it.  It's there to alert users who haven't properly assigned their UI objects.  I'll amend it so that it doesn't show in this particular case, but you can safely ignore it in the meantime.