Forum rules - please read before posting.

Problem building on iOS

Hello,

I have some weird glitch on iOS on all of my scenes. There's also an AdventureCreator menu with a simple sprite that doesn't render. The scene is clean, just adventure creator and the backgrounds, all sprites. I use texture packer to pack my main character. There are no lights, no effects and all have the sprite/default shader.

The project works great on PC, Mac, Linux and Android. I am trying the project out on iOS 9 on an ipad 4 retina.

I have tried alot of settings and build options but with no success. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• edited September 2017
    So the issue is only with the character sprite, not anything else?  In what version of Unity?

First, I'd recommend isolating it from AC so that we can locate the source of the problem.  What happens if the sprite alone, with no AC components, is present in the scene?  If it persists, it's likely this is a Unity issue rather than an AC one, as AC uses Unity's own rendering engine rather than anything unique.

Disabling texture-packing is also something to try.  Even if that's not the solution, it's important to know what difference that makes.
  • edited September 2017
    Thanks alot for the quick replay. 

I am using Unity 5.6.1f1 and I tried now on iOS 10 on ipad air 1. The result is the same.
    I added two sprites, nice and clean, and one is rendered, and the other one is just blue lines.

Both images are exported the same way. I have no idea what to do.
  • I am just updating now to 5.6.3 which is the last version before unity 2017. If it persists I don't know what I will do.
  • I have updated to unity 5.6.3 and Xcode 9. The result is that some sprites just can't be rendered and I have to idea why.
    The menu image, which should be the same like the one next to it, it's just a violet square.

If anyone encountered this problem before please let me know. Thanks alot.

• When you added two sprites (separate to AC), what was the difference between the one that was rendering properly and the one that wasn't?

Was this test also done in a non-AC scene (i.e. just a separate Unity scene with a regular Camera)?

It sounds like this is an issue with Unity itself, rather than AC.  You may find that other users working on this platform, but not with AC, have a similar issue on the Unity forums.
  • Hello,

I have created a new empty scene without AC and added those sprites there and are being rendered without a problem on the Ipad.

Then I have disabled the entire _SetGeometry gameobject, with AC, added the sprites there, and they are rendered with glitches.

I have also added another image and I got it to work on AppleTV and it works wonderful and I managed to get the new input in easily with the help of AC and it's awesome.

imageimage

imageimage
  • I am still working to track the problem down on the iPad the only problem is that it takes a long time to compile and port it on the actual device to test it. If I find out what was wrong, I will type here. If you have any suggestions please let me know where to look or check.

Thanks alot for the answers and very good support.
  • Were there any differences in Inspector settings between the sprite that worked vs the one that didn't?

Is this issue with the background sprites new?  I was under the impression your post was originally about character sprites.

To test possible fixes for the characters, try remove the Sorting Map.

Can't suggest much about the scene graphics.  Does AC refer to them in any way?
  • I have found that the problem is coming from loading the scenes.

I have created a new scene with a menu that when clicked is loading the AC 2D Demo scene using the Action to load another scene. And the sprite render problem is there.

• The problem is also happening with 2D Demo scene assets and not just those sprites I added. I don't know yet why loading the scene causes the problem.

If I just start in the current scene, without any internal loading, there is no render problem.

I will try with a clean AC as soon as I got the time.
  • I have finally managed to track the problem. It has to do with Build Settings for IOS.

Settings that are required in build:
    • Scripting Backend : IL2CPP
    • Api Compatibility Level: .NET 2.0 Subset
    • Architecture: ARM64
    Changing this removed the problem with texture rendering. I hope it helps someone else.
  • Glad to hear, and thanks for posting!  Which Unity version are you now using?  It may be that this is an issue that Unity can address in a later release.
  • I am using Unity 5.6.4f1.

I didn't upgrade to Unity 2017 yet since like 80% of the project is already built with Adventure Creator GUI system and I have done customization to it. And we are a year and a half into development.

After the initial release on PC, Mac, Linux we will upgrade everything then go for mobile.